Premed 101 Forums

Bursary?

Guest thelaze

Guest thelaze

Hello all.

I was wondering if the mods could provide some info regarding U of T and bursaries or any sort of non-loan financial aid. I know Queen's, for example, has a great bursary program (ie, average bursary recipient gets $7000), but I haven't been able to find any online info about U of T's bursary situation.

This seems like a particularly important concern given U of T's sky-high tuition and the fact that it is perhaps the best funded school in Canada.

Guest bluesky125

Hi thelaze,

Here's a link to various Student Awards, Bursary Funds, and Loan Funds available in the faculty: www.library.utoronto.ca/m...wards.html

Also, if you are qualified for OSAP, you are also eligible for UTAPS (University of Toronto Advance Planning for Students).

Here's a link listing UTAPS Eligibility and Level of Assistance:

www.utaps.utoronto.ca/fin...sstlvl.htm

There are also staff in the Awards Office that will give students valuable advice on how to manage their finance.

Guest peachy

It's very strange to read about awards given for outstanding academics and involvement prior to starting medicine - I'd think that EVERYONE in the first-year class ought to qualify for these things. Are the awards incredibly difficult to get?

If we have an interview, should we be applying for a bursary now? Or, is this something that should be done only if we are accepted? When I received my interview invitation from Western they included an information sheet about bursaries that encouraged us to submit applications now. Those applicants who are accepted into the program are then notified about receiving a bursary. I was just wondering if Toronto works the same. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is kind of (okay, really) a personal question, but could any of the U of T moderators give me/us an idea of the average bursary amount. I too am concerned about the sky-high tuition and living expenses in TO and the fact that the online UTAPS calculator said I would probably only get $2000 despite an over $17000 shortfall next year. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!:D

BJ

• 1 month later...
Guest Chieka

Could we revive this discussion please? :P

Tuition is set at $17K this year. Everyone knows cost of living at U of T is crazy, but how crazy? Could some current med students give approximate figures for rent? How about getting around?

Thanks,

C.

Guest Mephistopheles03

hi chieka,

i'm not a moderator but i am a native torontonian and starting at u of t in the fall (although i will be living at home).

living expenses are pretty harsh in TO although the costs are significantly lower if you can find a room-mate or 2 and split a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. plus, in the downtown area, there are also plenty of houses for rent. so, 4 people could live in a house (probabaly 3 or 4 bedrooms) for about $600 per month per person. i know those numbers aren't cheap but having a house with available parking is really nice that close to campus.

as for getting around, i wouldn't worry about it. public transit is really good here and for $2.25, you can get from 1 end of the city to the next. the only hospital that you could get placed at that wouldn't be downtown (ie. within walking distance of the medical sciences bldg) is sunnybrook and they have a free shuttle from the u of t campus and back.

hope this helps :)

Guest Chieka

Thanks, Meph. Your info has been helpful.

$600 a month per person?!?!?!? That's insane! You could live in London for half that amount. Grr. Now my decision's going to be even harder. Why can't U of T send out financial aid offers with acceptance offers like Western does? Things would be so much easier!!!!!! Arg! >: ;)

Does anyone know what U of T financial aid offering is like?

C.

Guest peachy

As in the message posted at the beginning of the thread, we apply for bursaries/scholarships once school starts. I don't have a clue how generous those things are, though...

If you look at the UTAPS website, though, you'll see that they give $2000 in a bursary to everyone who is eligible for OSAP. They also will give you a bursary to cover interest payments on the money that you take out of a loan beyond OSAP.

Guest multifish

Hey.

I've lived in Toronto for the past 7 years. My rent has varied from $650pp, when I shared a 2 bedroom in Riverdale, to my current $850+hydro for a 1 bedroom, shared by me and my partner, in Roncesvalles. Hydro, for us, runs about $25 a month.

A one-bedroom that is nice...say a spacious basement apt. or a smallish non-bsmt..will run you at least $800, and probably a bargain at that, depending on the area. Close to campus costs, for an equivalent place, would be much higher...probably closer to $900-1000. A much nicer, fairly roomy place that's perhaps 15 minutes away from campus would probably be around $1100-1300 (and the prices have actually come down the past year!!). Most places require 1 year contracts, and I would recommend that if you do find a bargain, PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN IMMEDIATELY or you will stand a good chance of losing it, and it really sucks. Remember that the double cohort will be coming this year.

If you are willing live a bit outside of the "campus core" (which in my opinion includes everything from Bathurst east to Yonge and College to a few blocks north of Bloor), you'll usually get it either a bit/a lot cheaper or nicer. Cheap places that are close to campus are invariably holes, "rats' nests", if you will. UofT runs a housing site, which is very mixed...many stinky, expensive places, but lots of places to share, are on offer. I would recommend, instead, either Renter's News or the Toronto Star classifieds as alternatives. NOW magazine also has some ads if you want to live with hipsters. Be prepared to do some legwork..while it is certainly possible to find a place in one weekend if you are flexible with the location and price, it will take much longer otherwise (my last search took a month and a half, every weekend and lots of weekdays).

If you are part of a couple or have children, definitely apply for family housing ASAP eir.library.utoronto.ca/StudentHousing/

..it's the best combination of affordable, pleasant and right downtown that I've seen yet.

So basically, housing is a nightmare compared to everywhere else UNLESS you're willing to share a place. On the plus side...Toronto has tonnes of free entertainment that doesn't suck, and food can be pretty affordable especially if you can make it to a market or a Price Chopper or equivalent. Plus it's kool.

Guest Namgalsip

Chieka,

If you haven't already, check out my posting under "house for rent" on this forum. It's a great deal. Probably the best you can get here.

Nams

Archived