Premed 101 Forums

Deferrals

Guest gwendolenharleth

Guest gwendolenharleth

Does anybody know under what circumstances deferrals are granted at U of T and other Ontario schools? What about the process? If you request a deferral and it's not granted, do you still have your space for the fall?

Guest UWOMED2005

Each school is completely different. My understanding is UWO is notoriously difficult to get a deferral. I could be wrong, but I think U of T and Queen's are much easier. Dependent on the school, different reasons could be valid for requesting a deferral ranging from completion of a degree (Bachelors or grad studies) to pregnancy/starting a family to serious illness (ie you develop Hodgkin's between now and September.)

I think it's best to call the admissions office in question, ONCE YOU HAVE AN ACCEPTANCE IN HAND :) ! (they're more likely to be willing to take the time to answer your question if you're accepted.) I highly, highly doubt they would wipe your name off the acceptance list with a big black marker if you're only asking about deferrals! :)

Guest JSS02

I think both U of T and Queen's do let a limited # of people who get in after 3 years defer to finish up 4th year. I know of a person (now at Queen's) who did that.

Guest lcloh

Officially, the UWO website says UWO does not grant deferred admissions and from my experiences this appears to be true except unofficially in super-extreme circumstances (e.g. you got run over by a bus, a TTC subway train, and a B747-400 in tandem and need a year off to go into rehab) that arose without prior notice, they might consider one.

Archived