Premed 101 Forums

Is my MCAT score safe for the 2009-2010 cycle?

micro

Your scores should meet the requirements for Western and Queen's. Congratulations on your results.

Thanks, Slim! :)

I found out that UWO's cut-offs were VR=10, PS=9, WS=Q, BS=11 for 2009 entry, but anyone know what Queen's cut-offs were for 2009?

We don't really know.

I can't say that your score is 100% safe since every year it changes quite dramatically. However I can tell you that your score is as safe as can be from a predictive point of view.

Thanks for the reply, dude! ;)

I guess what I'm a little concerned with is my PS=10 score. My other sections are probably fine since I think it's highly unlikely that any of the numerical section score cut-offs would ever exceed 11. :)

Queen's cutoff "might" have been 11/11/11 but I guess that 10 in PS wouldn't hurt you too much.

lol.... no it wasn't.

Queen's cutoffs looked to be 9/10/9 R (31 Overall)

You're score is great..... especially at UofT and Queen's where it serves as a cutoff only...

At Mac an 11 should be great for VR....

Western is the only one where a higher MCAT score is better.... but a 32 is still great and many of people have got in with that score or lower...

You should be fine at every school in Ontario.... I highly doubt there will ever be an 11 cutoff in PS or at least not next year....

For further confidence I would trade my 32 S (12PS,10VR,10BS) WS: S in a heartbeat for your 32 R with your distribution.... feel confident, and while there can always be unexpected changes to admissions you've put yourself in an excellent position with that score.

Queen's cutoff "might" have been 11/11/11 but I guess that 10 in PS wouldn't hurt you too much.

Haha, if I had 11s across the board this thread would have been unnecessary. 33R+ (with 11s across) is undoubtedly very safe. :)

lol.... no it wasn't.

Queen's cutoffs looked to be 9/10/9 R (31 Overall)

You're score is great..... especially at UofT and Queen's where it serves as a cutoff only...

At Mac an 11 should be great for VR....

Western is the only one where a higher MCAT score is better.... but a 32 is still great and many of people have got in with that score or lower...

You should be fine at every school in Ontario.... I highly doubt there will ever be an 11 cutoff in PS or at least not next year....

For further confidence I would trade my 32 S (12PS,10VR,10BS) WS: S in a heartbeat for your 32 R with your distribution.... feel confident, and while there can always be unexpected changes to admissions you've put yourself in an excellent position with that score.

Thanks for the reply, supafield! :)

How does UWO use the MCAT to further rank those interviewed..are all sections of the MCAT used? Is this info found on their admissions website?

You also have a great score...was that your first time taking it? Would you consider re-taking it if you had to? I probably wouldn't take this exam again. I feel that a 32 composite score is right on the fence: 31 is probably very risky, and 33 is probably very safe (assuming a balanced score distribution of course!).

Here's hoping that UWO's MCAT cut-offs are 10/10/Q/10 again next cycle! :)

what do you guys mean by safe? Is it true that school dont care if your MCAT is above the minimum? Isnt Westerns weight on the MCAT 25%, in which the person who started the thread would then consider retaking if he wanted to go to Western SO badly? (Im not implying a 32 is bad, its above average... but is my understanding true?)

what do you guys mean by safe? Is it true that school dont care if your MCAT is above the minimum? Isnt Westerns weight on the MCAT 25%, in which the person who started the thread would then consider retaking if he wanted to go to Western SO badly? (Im not implying a 32 is bad, its above average... but is my understanding true?)

I believe UofT (and Queen's?) simply use the MCAT as a "flag", meaning that once you meet their minimum requirement, the MCAT is no longer used in the admissions process. Therefore, for these schools, a "safe" MCAT is any score which meets the schools minimum requirement (higher scores makes no difference).

I don't think it's so simple at Queen's, since it appears that people with very high PS/BS scores (or perhaps high composite scores) were given some leeway with cut-offs. Ever since they stopped posting their cut-offs, Queen's selection process has become more difficult to decipher. By not posting their cut-offs, I think it also gives the adcoms at Queen's more flexibility in deciding who is eligible for interviews...

In contrast, at UWO, the MCAT is further used in the admissions process (as you mentioned). I just read that UWO uses all four sections of the MCAT to establish the rank-order for admissions (this was my previous question). Having a higher MCAT as this school (and a high VR score for Mac) would enhance your chance of admission. I thought I read somewhere that UWO only uses select parts of your MCAT to establish rank-order, but I guess not...

If this was my first crack at the MCAT, I would consider a re-write sometime before September, but there's no way I'm studying for the MCAT again (unless I absolutely had to, but I think I should be OK!). :)

Archived