Premed 101 Forums

Is there a downside to this?

sv3

Hi,

I am a non-trad with a graduate degree applying for the 2010 cycle. I am mainly looking at UofT and Queens due to the fact that they have more lenient graduate policies. I am planning on writing the MCAT in late July (can't move it up)and was previously hoping to just write it once, but I started to wonder what would be wrong with writing it 3 times within a month? Since Queen's takes your best score, I figure this strategy would give me the best shot at ensuring I hit the cut offs there. Of course I realize UofT looks at the most recent so this could potentially backfire but seeing how Queen's MCAT cut offs are all but confirmed to be higher than UofT's, I'm not as worried about it.

I was just hoping to get some opinions out there on what i plan to do. Again, I'm just thinking of Queen's and UofT as my GPA is mid-3's and hence won't meet the cut off and i am relying on the graduate policy which makes the MCAT the key hurdle for me.

cheers

sv3

Don't know how the scheduling would work for the AAMC, I know you can't have more than one test scheduled at a time.

The idea would also set you back ~$750, but you're probably already aware of that.

Interested in hearing what you decide.

Don't know how the scheduling would work for the AAMC, I know you can't have more than one test scheduled at a time.

The idea would also set you back ~$750, but you're probably already aware of that.

Interested in hearing what you decide.

Yup I quit my job so i could study for the MCAT and do my apps so I'm accustomed to taking a big hit in the pocket by now. Well I write the first one July 31st, and if I feel I was too rushed or really made some big obvious mistakes, I was going to rewrite it within 10 days and then repeat the above procedure a third time if necessary. The working assumption is obviously that I'll find dates somewhere to write it. The only downside I saw was that if i bombed the last one and missed UofTs cut offs but I feel ok about hitting those. Queen's is a bit different though as I think they are a total of 31 and nothing less than 10.

I just don't feel like waiting for a month for my results (aug 30) and then I'd only have 12 days left for re write(s) - that makes scheduling riskier. Only if i felt great after the first try would i wait and even then, I know I could get a nasty surprise. It probably sounds like a weird strategy but I'm being honest in knowing that I really only got a shot at two schools so trying to maximize my chances (of course if I got a killer VR score Mac would be in play........but its the hardest to guage as well)

thanks for the reply

What an interesting strategy...

I was about to post, scores don't come back fast enough for you to decide and then realized as a I read on you're not worried about that....

You effectively eliminate chance, or even put it on your side.... and given that Toronto has a fairly reasonable MCAT cutoff score it may be a good strategy.

You would have to get lucky for registration as mentioned above as you can only hold one spot at a time and it is expensive.... but if you're not worried about that.... you'd even hope that the first two would be the best practice you could get. Just hope Queen's doesn't go ahead and switch the rules around.

Lol and those that thought nothing would change with the switch from paper 2 times a year to computer 20+ times a year are regretting their stance now that people can effectively capitalize on standard deviation....

What an interesting strategy...

I was about to post, scores don't come back fast enough for you to decide and then realized as a I read on you're not worried about that....

You effectively eliminate chance, or even put it on your side.... and given that Toronto has a fairly reasonable MCAT cutoff score it may be a good strategy.

You would have to get lucky for registration as mentioned above as you can only hold one spot at a time and it is expensive.... but if you're not worried about that.... you'd even hope that the first two would be the best practice you could get. Just hope Queen's doesn't go ahead and switch the rules around.

Lol and those that thought nothing would change with the switch from paper 2 times a year to computer 20+ times a year are regretting their stance now that people can effectively capitalize on standard deviation....

Good thinking on Queens changing their rules but I'm going to guess it'll stay the same for 2010 as they haven't announced it yet. I also called earlier to check. I guess the key thing will be how my first write goes but even if i feel good, not sure I want to take the chance and wait for the score. I feel good about being able to hit 9s for UofT on the test, so I figure why not maximize my odds for Queens right? With my paltry undergrad gpa, I can't even apply to some schools (western for instance) so I'm trying to do what's best for the schools i actually have a shot with (longshot, but still a shot)

thanks for the reply....perhaps its not as crazy as i thought!

Archived