Premed 101 Forums

cegep perquisites

I am in health science at a cegep and want to enter medical school after completing a bachelors degree. My r score is not high enough to get into the med-p program and also cannot apply there since i will be graduating in december. I have been doing pretty well in all of my classes however this semester for the first time in my life I failed a class. I failed organic chemistry and of course,plan on taking it again in summer school. My question is that does this effect anything in the future when i apply for medical school? Since it is a perquisites for medical school. I plan on taking it again so will mcgill look at this in the future?

and also has any of you failed a course and applied to medical school and got in? I am just nervous as i have never failed a class and it is my first time. Also one more question is a major in history and minor in mathematics considered a good major? Has any of you done something similar to that. please share. I know that you can do any major you want since their is not required major.

Please reply. I am very nervous about the failing class and my future. THank you. :)

Guest Shim

If you apply from university, the admission committee won't look at the profile you had while you were in CEGEP. So you should be fine if you do it this summer.

If you apply from university, the admission committee won't look at the profile you had while you were in CEGEP. So you should be fine if you do it this summer.

luckysweety, Chill, all will be fine. Listen to Shim, and just do well at university. Remember, you need ECs and volunteering, consider STEP at Royal Vic, Mini-Meds at Montreal Childrens, EMS at Cote St. Luc and there is so much more. Also, consider Concordia and one of the streams in B.Sc. in Exercise Science, a great grounding for medicine, you will do weel if you work hard, it prepares you for an alternative career and you could consider the clinical exercise phsiology route that gives you hands-on ecperie3nce with chronic elderly patients.

Thank u for your reply. I was just getting worried. I have already done steps 2 years ago and I volunteered in Montreal general for 2 summer as well. I have also done volunteering around my cegep but I have a 3 years in which I can def improve on that. Right now I am just having a hard time choosing my major. I've considered math n history. But dunno if I will stick 2 this. But these r my strongest subjects n I like them 2 but if something else interests me I will def consider.

• 3 weeks later...

Or, math and history could be way more interesting than exercise science... depends what you're into.

Try it out, if you don't like it, you can always change majors.

Sounds like your current combination will make you pretty well-rounded - you'll come out of your undergrad a strong writer and thinker as well as being good in math. Both really desirable qualities in an MD, I think.

Archived