Premed 101 Forums

Reference letter question!

Hello all, although I know that I don't have my referees send my LORs via email until I get my interview, I'd like to ask you question about whom I should choose for my 3 referees. I understand that you need one from community, academic, and personal contacts, the thing is, for community, I guess my volunteer coordinator counts, but for academic and personal contacts, I have 2 profs, one I did my coop with (still keep in touch) and my current graduate school supervisor whom I consider very close. I think any of the 2 can be my academic referee but can the other still be my personal referee? or should it be strictly someone who's outside academia?

Thanks!!

Hello all, although I know that I don't have my referees send my LORs via email until I get my interview, I'd like to ask you question about whom I should choose for my 3 referees. I understand that you need one from community, academic, and personal contacts, the thing is, for community, I guess my volunteer coordinator counts, but for academic and personal contacts, I have 2 profs, one I did my coop with (still keep in touch) and my current graduate school supervisor whom I consider very close. I think any of the 2 can be my academic referee but can the other still be my personal referee? or should it be strictly someone who's outside academia?

Thanks!!

I tihink you should choose as personal referee the best person possible who knows more about you and your character as a person and who would give you a strong reference touching upon all the right buttons. If such person happens to be one of your profs, so be it, so long as he/she focuses on the specific issues that need to be addressed.

I agree with future doc. Although I also think that if you have someone outside of academia that can give you a glowing recommendation it may be good. Just make sure you have your current grad supervisor as your academic. This is my personal opinion but I think it would look strange and perhaps raise questions if you didn't have your supervisor as a reference (my opinion only). Good luck!

Thanks to all those replied!

To hiebs13: I agree that not having my research supervisor for any of my reference letter at all is not a good idea, but do you think it's still strange if I have him as a personal referee, not an academic referee, because I think he's had me as a student for the longest time and he miight have the best and honest idea what kind of person I am? Thanks!

ginger, I put down my supervisor as a personal reference since she could comment on what was outlined in the presonal reference form description. As long as you have someone else who can write you a strong academic reference letter, then go for it.

Thanks to all those replied!

To hiebs13: I agree that not having my research supervisor for any of my reference letter at all is not a good idea, but do you think it's still strange if I have him as a personal referee, not an academic referee, because I think he's had me as a student for the longest time and he miight have the best and honest idea what kind of person I am? Thanks!

I think using your supervisor as a personal reference is fine. As long as your other academic reference is solid as well. I think you should make it clear to your supervisor though that they are not an academic reference. I'm not sure exactly what the forms are like but if your supervisor is anything like mine was she would write about academic things unless told otherwise. Goodluck!

Archived