Premed 101 Forums

OAC english??

Hi everyone,

So I've emailed a handful of schools inquiring if I would need English if I had an OAC english course. Several have said that this is fine. However, I dont know where in the application I can put OAC English in to prove I took it. Any thoughts?

Do you mind letting us know which schools said this?

I think AECOM is good with it, but can't think of others.

As for adding it to the app, I'd maybe call AMCAS. You may need to send them your high school transcripts.

I don't think you'd have to add it to the primary application. Schools will either ask you to fill out pre-reqs in the secondary (and you'd indicate OAC English there), or in a form at your interview. So just apply and be prepared to show you have the prereqs later. They don't care about them until they decide to accept you.

I basically just sent an email detailing the English experience I had, which was a full year essay course in philosophy and OAC/gr.13 English and asked if I had met the req. Most school just said I was OK.

The one school that specifically said Gr. 13 English was good was Boston University.

Any writing intensive course is allowed were:

Case Western

Georgetwon

Michigan State

Mount Sinai: All requirements to satisfy the English requirement must be taken in the English Department. If your OAC course was actually taken in the English Department, we will accept it. Unfortunately, writing intensive courses do not count.

Maryland: Your OAC English is acceptable and if you took one year of that then you are fine. It must be an English course thought, not extensive writing in another subject unless your school considers that writing as satisfying the English requirement for graduating. If that is the case then you would need to have the school write a letter stating that.

--This one I found weird, my highschool pretty much had only one semester in OAC Eng, and my university didn't require English to graduate.

I would email each school specifically about your OAC English credit.

I graduated from the IB program, and was given credit at U OF T for my English..and it shows on my transcript as a transfer credit re: IB

Strangely, many US schools will not accept it...it is a pain because I have to taken an English now...and because I already have a first year English credit at U of T, I have to take a second year level English course..

From my experience, I have learned that each school has different critieria as to what meets their "English" credit.

Archived