Premed 101 Forums

Ok so i don't know how, but i failed the CFPC exam. My results page says that i passed the oral, and failed the short answers... so an overall fail.

what are my options? i'm supposed to be DONE residency in a month. i've signed on with a family practice. what does this mean for me??? I am so screwed... i do NOT understand how i failed!!! advice please!

no one has any advice? :confused:

I'm a U of T res, and i feel like i've gotta be the only one from here who didn't pass. I've called the clinic where I signed my contract and they seemed stunned. They are looking into getting me a supervisor to watch over me. :eek: Wish me luck...

no one has any advice? :confused:

I'm a U of T res, and i feel like i've gotta be the only one from here who didn't pass. I've called the clinic where I signed my contract and they seemed stunned. They are looking into getting me a supervisor to watch over me. :eek: Wish me luck...

When can you re-write?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey - don't feel too bad - I think 2-3 people failed in our McGill cohort. These things happen, sometimes to the best doctors.

The CCFP exam was an odd one, and it was either you knew it, or you didn't, i mean, seriously, name 4 natural products to help menopausal symptoms?!?!

Don't worry, just study, and rewrite it in October - the only sucky part is having to redo the SOOs. Don't let this overwhelm you, you have to rewrite with a clean slate!

CY

What you need to do is sign on for some extra electives- the most important thing is not to loose your clinical skills and you need to be in an environment where you can continue to see patients. This will help you stay up to date, give you time to study and practice clinical reasoning. I do not advise taking time away from patients at all. Talk to your program director. The other alternative is to find someone who will supervise you while you moonlight in a walk-in clinic type setting.

The exam is sort of a craps shoot and is really far from the real world. Do some practice questions and find out what you need to work on- then read those topics.

It will be a lot harder to find a job having to explain abscence from patients and clinical settings when you do pass at the next go and are job hunting.

Stay confident and you are definately not the only one.

Couldn't the OP also work in other provinces, where you don't have to have the CFPC- just the LMCC to work as a GP? I am thinking places like Manitoba/NL? As far as I know, you just have to be eligible to write the CFPC exam- this option might also look the best on the future job resume- as it would not involve time away from patients. Although I can't say extra electives/training would look bad either. Anyone know the pass/fail rate?

Archived