Premed 101 Forums

Interviews for the March 29 weekend

Guest bluesky125

Guest bluesky125

Just a small update for candidates having interviews this weekend:

Because of the current situation with SARS, some aspects of the interview day, including the tours and the lunch have been cancelled.

This is unfortunate since I really enjoyed the tours of the hospitals and the school last year. However, the administration aims to minimize any inadvertent or unnecessary contact with individuals who may transmit the SARS agent.

Good luck on your interview !

Guest bluesky125

Hi wannabedoc,

I don't really know about the weekend of April 12/13. However, I will update you as soon as I get additional information.

Guest cheech10

Lunch is cancelled to avoid large groups of people from being in close contact, which is the presumptive mode of infection for SARS. The faculty is being very aggressive in trying to prevent the spread of SARS, especially since as medical students we are in contact with patients in the hospital. They have cancelled lectures and told clerks to stay home if they have no direct patient care duties.

Guest Huffer

Hey there!

First off I want to say thanks to any of the moderators who had anything to do with the interview weekend. In the midst of the whole SARS situation, those students and the members of the admissions committee did a great job this past weekend making me feel like I had not missed out on too much even with the program changes.

However, I think there may be some other parts of the U of T administration that needs to follow the lead of the med school admissions committee with regards to the SARS issue. Following my interview, I had to pass through the foyer of the medical sciences building where an information session/conference on evidence-based medicine was being held (and sure enough, serving lunch). There were about 50-75 people milling around displays and eating in close proximity. I guess the organizers of this even did not consider SARS to be as serious of a threat as the admissions committee did.

Perhaps one of the moderators could bring this to the attention of the appropriate office as there seems to be a contradiction in policy here.

I don't mean to question/complain - I did not feel at any point that my health was endangered. I just thought that this was an interesting turn of events that some of you may be interested in.

As for the interview, it seemed to go very well. The most difficult and thought provoking questions I've had so far out of 4 interviews but the interviewers were both extremely friendly and created a very welcoming, informative environment.

Cheers

Guest Akane200

The information session/conference may not have been organized by the faculty of medicine. Many conferences, both medical and basic science related ones take place in the stone lobby of MSB. The space is "rented out" to different groups from time to time. They are not necessarily faculty run. And those attending may or may not all be working in our hospitals.

It does seem contradictory, but I think our faculty is being cautious.

Archived