Premed 101 Forums

MCAT scoring trends

invincible110

First off I will state that I know the scoring of MCAT tests is based on percentiles, meaning like the 90th percentile or whatever will get a 14 and lower percentiles will get lower marks.

But I was wondering if there are any trends out there that have been made public. What I mean is since they *attempt* to make each test difficulty the same then could one predict how many questions they can get wrong in a section to get a certain score.

For example in biological sciences, say for example I get 4 wrong, would one be able to predict my score as around a 13 or 14?? 10 wrong = 9??

I know ppl will say since it is based on proportions there is no way to tell for sure, but isn't there a trend of some sort. Like the max you can get wrong to get a 10. I think this would be helpful for example if going through the test I am unsure of only 1 or 2 questions than I would be willing to guess on more questions if I was aiming for a 10.

yeah, i have defintly seen charts where they tell you how many questions wrong = a certain score for past tests. I am pretty sure this information came with the practise tests i did....and i think i got access to them via Princeton Review..so maybe ask a friend who is in it now.

Theres also some information on the website

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/understandingscores.htm

yeah it's hard to say for sure, but helpful to know while practicing.

I always used the soft rule that 40+ on the sciences generally would get you a 10 as would a 30+ on the verbal.

No hard and fast rule though, honestly the best thing you can do is to not aim for the cutoffs but rather the 13+s, try and get 46+s on the science and 34+s on the VR then you will be safe for sure;)

I wouldn't get too hung up on the individual number of correct answers required because it can change by a few each time. Focus more on just doing the best that you can do, because you can't control the person sitting next to you.

Archived