Premed 101 Forums

Ubc Im

Dongzhuo

Hi all,

I'm interested in pursuing a residency in internal medicine after school, and I've heard that UBC IM never fills it spots and that graduates avoid it like the plague. I was wondering if anyone who has experienced it first hand can shed light on how the program is and whether those often repeated rumours have any kernels of truth? Thanks!

This year, UBC IM had 15 unmatched spots after 1st iteration. Prior to this, they filled all their spots in first iteration every year except one around 20 years ago or something.

As for the workload, it depends on the rotation, some are obviously busier than others. The one rotation i can think of that most people complain about being worked would be CTU at one specific site. Otherwise, i really don't know how to explain these rumours.

• 2 months later...

I'm a UBC IM R1

this yr's match was really bizarre. from what I heard, a lot of IM keeners from UBC and other med schools either got rejected pre-interview or in the first round; the ones who were interviewed were often backing up with internal med. I personally felt that I saw more out of province candidates on my interview date.

From that, the only conclusion I could draw about the 15 unmatched spots would be that the program made unfortunate choices about who to interview, and did not rank sufficient number of candidates who actually wanted to do internal medicine.

as for the work load, they have introduced a new call system called "cross coverage." our call is now 1 in 5 on CTU, and 2-4 cross coverage calls per 4wk block on subspecialty. cross coverage calls are in house, and have replaced the traditional subspecialty home call. there are certain pros and cons associated with this system, but I won't address them here. Simply said, the new system is easier on the junior residents because we do fewer calls in general, and relatively tougher for the seniors who are now first call for subspecialty ward and emerg.

On call: I haven't personally experienced greater work load compared to my days as a medical student in another university. I used to do 4-5 consults/night as a med student, and still doing 4-5 consults/night. the team is generally large enough to limit consults to 6/resident/night, plus with the new cap system the on call team won't take more than 17 consults per call shift. we also get help from the cross coverage team if they're not too busy.

The only comment I have about heavier work load is to echo the blog above. CTU at 1 particular hospital is fairly intense. otherwise I think this is a very reasonable IM program in general. I haven't heard my colleagues complain about any of the subspecialty services.

• 3 weeks later...
I can't comment on UBC IM very much, other than some rumours that it is very difficult on its residents with workload.

I can, however, commend you for your username. Warring states period. Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Yes.

Not the warring states period. that was before Han. dong zhuo existed in the time at the end of Han, before the beginning of the three kingdoms. :D

Archived