Premed 101 Forums

UWO New Curriculum

Hey Everyone,

Just read the article "Curriculum Change at Schulich Dentistry" in the JCDA and wanted to know what people think. It seems like clinic is emphasized such that First Years start in second term along with their "Team".

I wonder how this compares to the Toronto curriculum?

Hey, do you have the URL for the article b/c I remember some students mentioning the changes at the interview but they said the opposite...that the changes are going to be less emphasis on the clinical portion (which obv. sucks) so this would be great news if it is indeed the other way around.

Hey,

http://www.cda-adc.ca/jcda/vol-75/issue-5/335.html

That's the link to download the PDF. As far as I can see it seems that integration into the clinic early is a focal point of the new curriculum... that's interesting the current students would say the opposite...

Also, here is the link to the explanation on the UWO website: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/Dentistry_Curriculum_Renewal.pdf

Again, I understand it to be centered on clinic...

That really sounds interesting.

But to be honest, either way UWO or UofT, you can't go wrong. It's only if you get into both that you should be thinking this, and in that case, UWO's revamped curriculum does sound like fun. You can think it'd be like the guinea pigs since first yr of the new curriculum, but I'm sure they know what they're doing and it's nothing drastically different, so I think there's only benefit.

Really seems fun though; can't wait... 1.5 wks left!

you will definetly get more clinical experience with the new curriculum, in terms of patient management and treatment planning. What the students were most likely talking about was the layout of how much time you will have and how the hours are laid out in first and second year, before you get your own patients.

Overall though, I just had a look at the new curriculum, and it looks great, less time wasting, more overall time in the clinic, more practical information being taught.

... I remember some students mentioning the changes at the interview but they said the opposite...that the changes are going to be less emphasis on the clinical portion (which obv. sucks) so this would be great news if it is indeed the other way around.

At the interview, from what I remember the first years were saying how UWO has always started their clinical stuff earlier than UofT (they started drilling day 2 or whatever at UWO lol, and 2nd term at UofT). They said with the new curriculum, that it was pretty much going to be the same timeline as UofT, with starting clinical stuff in second term.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.. this is just based on what I was told at the interview.

• 1 month later...
uwo may have an extended year though...they're planning to/planned to have summer clinics so that may mean more clinic time overall...

so far, everything i've heard/read says that only the 3rd years will need to take part in the summer clinic in order to help them complete their case hours and to relieve some pressure from 4th year. this year (2010) the summer clinic is running from may 25 - june 24, but i don't think that we're going to be involved with that for a little while :)

---

oh! just found a powerpoint for the summer clinic at this link:

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/current_students.html

sounds pretty sweeeet

Archived