Premed 101 Forums

Advice needed please!!

Hello all,

I applied to several canadian med school last year with no love, and i did submit a primary app for US school in october, but i realized it was very late especially with my stats and decided not to waste money and just wait for this cycle to start.

I was hoping to get advice on which US school would be realistically competitive for my stats, given that i submit my primary in the next few days, and get the secondaries as soon as they come around. Also, if i can get a few suggestions on which schools may be a reach as well it would be great, just to throw a few wild ones out there and hope for the best. Im looking to apply to about 20 schools in total

my cGPA is 3.67, and graduate GPA (3rd and 4th year) is 3.92- OMSAS scale, not sure what the conversion is for AMCAS

Bachelor in science (biotechnology) at U of Ottawa

MCAT

V9, P9, B10, M- 28M- 2006

V10, P9, B11, O- 30O- 2008

EC's- 2.5yrs hospital volunteer

2 university clubs (one journal related, another health issues related)

Lots of tutoring, a few scholarships, quite a bit of research experience- past 2 years since graduation- but no publications unfortunately. A few other volunteering events here and there.

I have been sifting through this forum for days now, man theres a lot to read. i do have a good idea on several schools i can apply for, but i was hoping for some feedback as well. thanks

Ok so this is the list i have so far,

Target

Albert-einstein

Albany

Dartmouth

EVMS

EMORY

Case western

Georgetown

Jefferson

Columbia

Cornell

Mt. Sinai

MSU

MCW

Northwestern

NYMC

NYU

Univ of Maryland

Rosalin franklin

Syracuse- suny upstate

SLU

Stony brooks

Tulane

VCU

Vanderbilt

Wayne

Wake forest

Reach

Indiana University

Boston

Hopkins

Duke

any1 has any advice on:

University of Minnesota- twin cities

U of N. Carolina- chapel hill

George Washington

Pennsylvania state u.

also, is there anything to the list i should add, substitute, or consider taking out for some reason? i realize the number of schools has grown dramatically, but i keep on reading to apply everywhere i can, so i will :D

Hm I think you're a bit off with your targets vs. reaches.

Emory, Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Case Western (and to a lesser extent NYU, Wake Forest, Dartmouth, Georgetown and AECOM) are reaches with a 30. Boston U is probably on the easier side, unless you're talking about Harvard. IIRC Indiana U does not take Canadians.

Hm I think you're a bit off with your targets vs. reaches.

Emory, Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Case Western (and to a lesser extent NYU, Wake Forest, Dartmouth, Georgetown and AECOM) are reaches with a 30. Boston U is probably on the easier side, unless you're talking about Harvard. IIRC Indiana U does not take Canadians.

Since when does Indiana not take canadians? not sure what IIRC means....

Even mid tiers are a bit of a gamble. U buffalo requires you to have your Ugrad done at a US school no?

Crap, im worse off than i thought, Even if I submit app tomorrow, my chances are still slim even in mid tier? and just to clarify mid tier schools are btw 25-50 rank?

While your GPA looks to be in the average range for applicants, I think your MCAT might be a flag, especially as a Canadian applicant. Even accepted applicants at the Canadian-friendly Wayne State had an average of PS 11 / VR 10 / BS 11 / P (according to 2008 MSAR).

Also, having "quite a bit of research experience" over 2 years doesn't look very good if you didn't get any publications out of it. Did you submit abstracts or present at any conferences? Productivity, in any sense of the word, is more important than length of time.

That's not to say it can't be done, but your essays and activities need to have an extra special "oomph" for your application to stand out. With that being said, I would advise that your targets of Einstein, Dartmouth, Emory, Case Western, Georgetown, Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, Northwestern, NYU and Vanderbilt are essentially reaches as well.

While your GPA looks to be in the average range for applicants, I think your MCAT might be a flag, especially as a Canadian applicant. Even accepted applicants at the Canadian-friendly Wayne State had an average of PS 11 / VR 10 / BS 11 / P (according to 2008 MSAR).

Also, having "quite a bit of research experience" over 2 years doesn't look very good if you didn't get any publications out of it. Did you submit abstracts or present at any conferences? Productivity, in any sense of the word, is more important than length of time.

That's not to say it can't be done, but your essays and activities need to have an extra special "oomph" for your application to stand out. With that being said, I would advise that your targets of Einstein, Dartmouth, Emory, Case Western, Georgetown, Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, Northwestern, NYU and Vanderbilt are essentially reaches as well.

Well i dont have any publications for those 2 years because they were not continuously in the same lab. Ive worked in 3 different labs on 3 different projects, and 2 out of the 3 projects were long term ones that i was starting and handing off the work to some1 else, so it wasnt like masters, it was work experience.

Archived