Premed 101 Forums

questions go easy to hard on the mcat?

sv3

I read this off the AAMC site:

"Sets of questions in the Verbal Reasoning section are presented in order from easiest to hardest. This order is based on the average difficulty of the questions in each set. However, a given set of questions contains both easier and more difficult sections."

and at first I thought the questions in each passage get harder as you go higher in number. But looking at the use of the word "set" in the above statement, it doesn't seem that set = passage. So does anyone know what the AAMC means by the above statement?

thanks

Hm, I'd interpret "set" as the questions following a specific passage.

i initially thought so too but the statement says that sets can have easier and difficult sections. that wouldn't apply to a passage would it?

I didn't mean to look harsh, sorry if I did. I guess you could just have answered something, but apparently you have no answer.

However, your last post about my free time seems a bit ironic if you keep in mind that you created a thread to know if questions go easy to hard.

You'll see when you'll be writing the MCAT, no ?

I didn't mean to look harsh, sorry if I did. I guess you could just have answered something, but apparently you have no answer.

However, your last post about my free time seems a bit ironic if you keep in mind that you created a thread to know if questions go easy to hard.

You'll see when you'll be writing the MCAT, no ?

I generally don't answer to pricks but if you insist:

I ask b/c in practice i have noticed a trend in that i tend to get the last question or second last question wrong in passages. So if i knew that i was intrepretting the AAMC correctly, then when i get to these questions I could be more suspicious of the first answer I think is right. Thus, if the questions really do get harder, that would be important knowledge for someone like myself who is getting that last question wrong. It's not important for everyone but i value that information. Hence my post. Not that it should matter it you.

And the entire point of practicing is to be ready for the mcat, not to figure things out on actual test day. Let me know how that strategy works out for you.

Shim: It's good practice to do the easiest questions first on the MCAT. This holds for an entire section (do the easiest passages first) and for the question sets in each passage. They are the questions that deserve your early focus after reading a passage and they are the ones you SHOULD get. All questions on the MCAT are worth 1 point. You don't want to spend too much time on the tough ones. It may sound counter-intuitive, but its better to be running low on time on the hard ones than the easy ones. If OP is right about what the AAMC is saying, it may become a valuable strategy for accumulating that critical mass of points in the end.

I generally don't answer to pricks but if you insist

rofl calm down mad guy, I said nothing wrong.

@youngdad: I see the point, but I guess you'd just see it once you read the question.

Shim: It's good practice to do the easiest questions first on the MCAT. This holds for an entire section (do the easiest passages first) and for the question sets in each passage. They are the questions that deserve your early focus after reading a passage and they are the ones you SHOULD get. All questions on the MCAT are worth 1 point. You don't want to spend too much time on the tough ones. It may sound counter-intuitive, but its better to be running low on time on the hard ones than the easy ones. If OP is right about what the AAMC is saying, it may become a valuable strategy for accumulating that critical mass of points in the end.

I am not sure if this holds for the science sections as there was no similar statement on the AAMC site for the sciences. Considering VR is usually the most rushed I just thought it would help to know exactly what the AAMC is saying in that statement i quoted. I would basically make sure to ask myself if I'm seeing the entire picture on questions that were the penultimate or last in each passage. Not proposing this for everyone but it would help me out seeing as how i get those wrong

i'll try to find out more about this.

Archived