Premed 101 Forums

Should I bother to apply early?

I was planning on applying in the upcoming weeks, but I am rewriting the MCAT in late-August and heard that even if I apply early they will put my application on hold until my most recent MCAT scores come in. Also, my previous MCAT score is 27 so I don't think that will get me interviews at any schools I'm interested in. So will applying early give me any advantage despite not having my most recent MCAT score? If not should I just wait until late-September when I get my scores back, and is there even a point in applying to American medical schools that late? lol..

The earliest you'll be considered complete is late September. Schools won't even look at your application until your new score is in....so yeah there's no benefit to applying before maybe early August. Whether that's too late depends on the strength of your application.

Waiting until you get your scores back to submit would definitely be too late though.

Oh okay thanks for the info... But even if I am strong applicant, they wouldn't consider me for interviews until they got my most recent MCAT right? So even if I apply in early August, I still wouldn't be looked at until later?

I said early August because it takes time for your transcripts to be "verified." If you submit in August you probably won't be verified until September...which is just in time for your MCAT scores.

If you wait until late September to submit, it could take up to 6 weeks to be verified. So you wouldn't be complete until October/November which is way too late.

I said early August because it takes time for your transcripts to be "verified."

speaking of transcripts. Can i send my transcript in now, even if I haven't submitted my AMCAS yet? I have a profile with AMCAS but I want to work on my personal statement more.

Archived