Premed 101 Forums

For UWO interviews

Best 2 years ~ 85.7%

DAT

AA 24

RC 26

Will I be invited for an interview for the upcoming application cycle? or is my average too low?

Thanks in advance,

You will most probably get an interview and then it depends how you do in it as after that marks dont count a lot and interview is the main deciding factor.

You will most probably get an interview and then it depends how you do in it as after that marks dont count a lot and interview is the main deciding factor.

The calculation which creates the ranked offer list is weighted as follows: 60% academics, 15% DAT and 25% interview. = from website

So, academics is still pretty well the primary factor in deciding offers of admission but if you're in competitive range your interview can definitely make or break your standing.

That is not true, Kittyp. The grades are worth 60% of your total evaluation, DAT is 15% and interview is 25%. So if someone comes into the interview with a 95% average, they are at a much better position than someone with an 85% average to begin with. Otherwise, what's the point of having the weight distribution of 60%, 15%, 25%? The idea that once you're invited to the interview it's only the interview that counts is just incorrect.

Actually, from what I've heard, its somewhere in between those two. While grades are obviously important, they would not invite a student for an interview if they didn't think their grades were high enough. I know of quite a few instances where people with insane averages received rejection letters, while those with mediocre averages were accepted.

So, while a student with an 85 average goes into the interview with a lower chance than a student with a 90 average, the tables can turn drastically after the interview. You'd be surprised at how many smart students go into the interview with no knowledge whatsoever as to how the interviews are run.

The reason why I said interview is more important is that at interview the difference of grades is a lot. Say someone with 90% gets 21/22 on interview and someone with 85% gets 35 the difference between their interview scores becomes a bigger factor as difference of 5% when reduced to 60% of weight doesnt remain such a big factor. Definitely if you have 90% and you do very well on interview too you have better chances and exception is for those with 95+% as even if they do interview just fine they are in good shape.

The reason why I said interview is more important is that at interview the difference of grades is a lot. Say someone with 90% gets 21/22 on interview and someone with 85% gets 35 the difference between their interview scores becomes a bigger factor as difference of 5% when reduced to 60% of weight doesnt remain such a big factor. Definitely if you have 90% and you do very well on interview too you have better chances and exception is for those with 95+% as even if they do interview just fine they are in good shape.

you are assuming that it is:

(85/100) * 60 + (24/30) * 15 + Interview score = score/100

But I don't think it is like this. I think it is a distribution where the lowest mark in the pool is given zero and the rest of the marks are distributed on a bell curve. So if the lowest is 70 or 65 (I can't imagine lower applying to dental school). This is the start point. So 85 and 90 is a big difference. Like the DAT or the MCAT.

you are assuming that it is:

(85/100) * 60 + (24/30) * 15 + Interview score = score/100

But I don't think it is like this. I think it is a distribution where the lowest mark in the pool is given zero and the rest of the marks are distributed on a bell curve. So if the lowest is 70 or 65 (I can't imagine lower applying to dental school). This is the start point. So 85 and 90 is a big difference. Like the DAT or the MCAT.

Oh! if that is the case then I might be wrong but there is a lot of discussion on this forum regarding how do they weigh everything. Is it the bell curve or actually taking each percentage. Are you sure they use the bell curve?

(though its good for me as I have 90% and not sure what score I got on interview, though it went well but you never know). And if they use bell curve then definitely those with higher marks are at benefit. But I don't understand why people with 90+ scores don't get admission as if that is the case then it should work for them.

Oh! if that is the case then I might be wrong but there is a lot of discussion on this forum regarding how do they weigh everything. Is it the bell curve or actually taking each percentage. Are you sure they use the bell curve?

(though its good for me as I have 90% and not sure what score I got on interview, though it went well but you never know). And if they use bell curve then definitely those with higher marks are at benefit. But I don't understand why people with 90+ scores don't get admission as if that is the case then it should work for them.

I am not sure about the bell curve, this is what make sense to me. I know for sure that at the medical school they look at the pool and assign the lowest mark to the lowest GPA in the pool. But how the mark is distributed after that, this is what I am not sure of.

Moreover, there has to be some kind of difference between 19, 20, 21 on the DAT scale other than the 1 point. Because if the difference is only 1/30 of 15. Then that is virtually nothing.

Archived