Premed 101 Forums

U of T Out of Province Admission policy

Guest ioncannon97

Guest ioncannon97

U of T states that that consider equally students from all regieons of Canada. However, consider the following statistics regarding success rates of applicants over the past five years:( starting 97/98 to 01/02)

SUCCESS RATE BY RESIDENCE

Ontario 13.5 14.7 15.8 16.1 16.6

Other Canadian 9.9 7.8 9.8 9.0 10.1

Thus Ontario students consistently have a 50-60% higher success rate. Does it not seem like Toronto's actual policy is different from what they put on paper?

Notes on Stats:

-Obtained from ACMC (Association of Canadian Medical Colleges)

-A declined offer is still considered a "success" in caculating the success rate. (ie, it CANNOT be argued that the out of province rate is lower because students tend to stay in their home province)

Keep in mind that there are likely substantially more Ontario applicants in the pool then there are OOP...especially within that time period which is when Ontario tuition went through the roof while it remained about a third of the Ontario price in the rest of the country. Why would somebody apply to a school OOP if they had no reserved seats guaranteed (ie no OOP quota) and the tuition (and living costs) are the highest in the country? It makes sense to me that students probably applied within their province of residence as in province students (read admissions advantage) and where tuition is much lower. Likely the OOP students that bothered to apply to UofT had lower stats and applied there because they were unsure of their chances in their home province....thus they applied across the country to increase the odds. It is not surprising that there success rate is lower then in province students....who likely had much higher stats. As well, OOP students with very good 'on paper' applications are very well known to decline to attend their Ontario interviews when it actually comes down to it...which would make them a 'failed' applicant too.

So, I think that the stats you are quoting are probably more reflective of the Toronto OOP applicant pool then UofT's attitudes/policies towards OOP students. Just a thought....

Guest ioncannon97

But the above stats are success rates (in percentages), so the # of applicants is not the issue. Even if there are more ontario applicants than OOP, the fact is that a greater proportion of Ontario applicants are offered admission. So either U of T is not carrying out its stated policy and has a bias for ontario applicants or perhaps Ontario applicants are just 50-60% better than the rest of us (which seems more plausible?).

I don't have any problem with U of T preferring Ontario applicants since almost every university prefers in-province students. But is they do prefer them then they should say so.

Guest ioncannon97

Sorry, aneliz, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I missed your point about the quality of the OOP applicant pool being lower. When I think about it, your explanation seems pretty plausible.

Archived