Premed 101 Forums

Applicant Information from the Dean's office

Guest bluesky125

Guest bluesky125

Here are some info about this year applicants:

The faculty receives applications for MD program entry from every region of Canada – for 2003 entry, 70% are from Ontario, 3% from Atlantic Canada, 5% from Quebec, 9% from the Prairie Provinces, 10% from British Columbia, and 3% from outside Canada. Although most applicants are currently in Science (48%) or Arts and Science (15%) programs, there are applicants from Engineering (2%), Pharmacy (1%), Arts (1%), and Theology, Environmental Studies, and Commerce.

Also the interview dates are: Feb 28, March 1, March 2

March 29, March 30, March 31

April 11, April 12, April 13

Guest Kirsteen

Hi sally2001,

From the numbers aneliz posted a few months back, there were supposed to be 1576 applicants to UT this year (down 100 or so applications from last year).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest shutterbug

1576! That's less than half the number of applicants to Mac.

Any idea how many people they're interviewing given that they've got 20 more seat this year (220?).

Yup...Mac has easily double the number of applicants of any other med school in Ontario (except for Ottawa)....notice any pattern here? As the number of required pre-reqs and 'rules' goes down, the number of applicants goes up. This is a universal law in applications. Mac has relatively few rules....no pre-reqs, no 'full-time' requirement, no MCAT, lower GPA cut-off....so everybody and their brother applies there. In comparison, UofT, UWO and Queens all require the MCAT, have specific pre-reqs, have higher GPA cuts and require that you have some full-time years. So, not as many people meet those criteria and they don't apply. Moral of the story: I think that it is much harder to get into a school like Mac then UofT....because the application process is based so much more on 'subjective' factors (your essay and interview) rather then 'objective' factors like the MCAT and GPA...and there is double the competition for less seats. Of course this kind of policy is also beneficial in that it allows people that will make excellent doctors but haven't had a traditional undergrad or don't have a 3.99 GPA a shot at getting in. Every school does their own thing and as a result, tends to attract a slightly different set of applicants....but remember, diversity is a good thing!

UofT has 20 more seats this year?! I hadn't heard that! Has this been confirmed? I know that UWO was rumoured to have more seats for this year too, but as of right now, this is NOT true. The class size at UWO will be THE SAME as last year (133) until further notice (not 148 as it was suggested earlier this year.)

Guest shutterbug

...but, I remember a discussion (not here maybe in an article) about restoring the number of UT seats to before cutback days.

Anyways: less applicants = more chances for us! That's a good thing.

Guest sally2001

kirsteen,

thanks for the info. i had the number 3000 stuck in my mind for all ontario med schools. maybe all this talk about the crazy odds for mcmaster has affected my subconcious :)

Archived