Premed 101 Forums

I am low on motivation.

Hi, I am so empty on motivation.. it's just frustrating.

I'm studying for my MCAT for the second summer in a row (Aug.14th) and it's so hard to get myself up in the mornings and studying throughout the day! I don't know what it is that's sapping my energy. Actually, it could be many things like my terrible financial situation, job, age and still not achieving my goal.

I've been trying to watch as many inspirational movies as I can and they help and I'm always inspired while watching them, but it's easy to forget the emotions the next day at the library.

I'm trying to stick to the 3 pillars of study, exercise and sleep above all else but results are slow and my MCAT date is nearing fast.

What are some techniques you all use to stay motivated and focused?

Doing well in MCAT will certainly motivate you, however, you need to be motived to do your best in MCAT.

Financial situation, age, job, not having achieved your goals are all totally irrelevant! The key to achieving your goal is to do the best of which you are capable on the MCAT, and to do the best of which you are capable rerquires focus, perseverence, creating a plan and schedule and sticking to it. Nothing else really matters. It is a brutal process and there are no shortcuts. This is your job with a defined expiry date and the clock is ticking. So clear your mind and simply focus.

In other words, give up, throw in the towel - or, better, buckle down and implement the plan of action. It ain't easy I know. Just do it. This is your fulltime job until you write it. And of course, results are slow, why should do be any different than the rest of us? Forget the movies, if you want it, you will do it b/c you have no choice, tick tock, get moving. Study smart and if you need help in understanding, find it.

My technique is brutal hard work b/c of the goal. I have no choice and I focus on the upcoming MCAT. It's that simple. Alternatively, I can let my dream slip by and live with regrets in the years ahead. This is not an option for me.

That is exactly what was happened to me when I was writing my MCAT. I just lost all motivation but you just have to force yourself because you have no other choice! I wrote my MCAT 3 times! BUT eventually landed admission into 2 Canadian schools and when I got that acceptance all my hard work totally paid off!

One thing I would recommend is try hanging out with some medical school students. They have all gone through the long process of getting into medicine and seeing them succeed gives you hope that you can succeed too. Plus, they love medicine so much that you yourself get energized too :)

Thank you, these replies are quite helpful and I will read and re-read them! I think it's more of a state of mind that I need to let go of, a rut that I need to get out of. And I'll make tonight that night that I leave it all behind and get focused.

I also want to print out some quotes and affirmations to put on my wall, as cheesy as it sounded to me last year, I feel like I need them right now.

Hey there!

I feel your pain. I am also studying for my re-take. It's quite frustrating, I realise. But here are my two cents, for what they are worth.

First of all, don't worry. It all works out for the best. Get rid of your fear, anxiety and frustration. I am the type of person that gets really overwhelmed, very very quickly. And I have learned over the years, to tackle things one at a time (although that is still a work in progress :rolleyes: )

Secondly, do not keep the end goal in sight. As wrong as that sounds! lol. Because there's no way for you, or for me, to know what the future will turn out to be. We can sit here, hope and pray for that spectacular score, but unless we put in the hard work, dreaming about a 39 and a med school interview will not produce results. What will? Hard work, smart work. So just do the best that you can do, and don't project into the future and think of the "what-ifs." I think of it like this, I am stressing over this process now...but come tomorrow sth horrible could happen! I could get hit by a bus, a car, or one of my loved ones may be hurt. So, in the grand scheme of things this is just a little stumbling block that can be overcome with effort.

And lastly, focus on the task at hand, and when you are truly 'gettin jiggy with it' give it your all! Really try to understand the notes you are making, the words you are reading. Actively reading and note-taking for even 20 min is far more beneficial than simply "reading" for the sake of reading for an hour! So if you can focus for even 10-15 min, but actively, then you're well on your way to doing well. Take frequent breaks, and then get back to it.

I hope that helps. And I hope I can follow my own advice :cool: hahah...I am far too low on motivation myself...and sometimes gripped by fear :eek:

Good luck to the both of us! May the force be with us :cool:

Wrote the MCAT 3 times. First time studied sooooooooooo much and did really poorly on Verbal. It was frusterating. But I'm happy it was hard because it tested how much I wanted to be in medical school. I got in this summer (UBC yah!!)!!! So just think about how much you want to be a doctor and consider this a trial of good faith ---I think if its in you you'll find that motivation. It will come. I studied again after the first time, and then AGAIN after that time. I think my family thought I was crazy and told me to give it up when I stayed up late nights and studied while I ate meals and had lunch breaks and worked full time. Just keep pushing and thinking of why you want to be a doctor and if its in you nothing can stop you.

Archived