Premed 101 Forums

when do US schools accept?

I am a little confused as to if I should apply to a few US schools in addition to Cndn schools (this is my first time applying)... If I submitted my US apps, I dunno, sometime before August, and then get called in for an interview, etc, etc... when do they give acceptances (and when do you need to confirm by), in general? I am just thinking, since I would be applying to US schools as a backup for Canadian schools, if US schools send out acceptances months before Canadian schools (don't they?), especially if you get waitlisted in Canada, and don't get in until mid-late summer, can you not wait to hear from Canada before you must give USA a reply? Do people accept US schools, and then back out if they get accepted in Canada? How does it work (if you understand where I'm coming from...)

thanks guys

I was accepted at Wayne State in November, put my deposit down, and recently withdrew (May). Moreover, I still hold an acceptance at Georgetown (accepted in May), although I have an acceptance at UWO. I'll most likely (99%) be attending UWO, but I've been keeping my Georgetown acceptance for the very slight chance that I will change my mind. However, I have also accepted Georgetown and given a $1000 deposit, $900 of which is refundable before July 1st.

You can pretty much hold acceptances across the border, as their is no cross-talk between schools. However, you can only hold one US acceptance by May 15th. The loss to you is the initial deposit, usually in the range of $50-100. Each school should have their own deadline concerning when the final tuition deposit becomes non-refundable.

US schools generally have rolling admissions, so when they accept depends on when you completed your application. Acceptances will given out starting in the fall all the way until May the following year.

If you get into an American school, but still want to wait for Canadian schools (generally all in May), you can accept the American one first and keep waiting at no disadvantage. This is true for all american schools.

Archived