Premed 101 Forums

graduate gpa?

Guest sally2001

Guest sally2001

if one is applying to toronto after completing a graduate degree, are the individual graduate course grades figured into the gpa calculation or is it just the undergrad gpa that has to be > 3.0? thanks for any replies.

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey there,

I think the 3.0 refers to your undergrad GPA (using the weighted formula). If you meet this cut-off criteria, you will be eligible for further consideration by the grad committee for an interview. They then loook at your LOR's, grad marks, pubs/abstracts, etc...in determining whether or not you get an interview invite. In the past, the grad students who interview still have a fairly high weighted undergrad GPA. Hope this clarifies some stuff for ya. Oh, and I think your grad GPA must more or less be all A's to advance.

~JZ

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm not sure from where you snagged your info, but UofT has not divulged (publicly anyway) how they evaluate graduate applicants with respect to graduate GPAs. Ottawa U. does specify that a graduate average of A is required, but UofT has not.

As to undergrad GPAs of successful UofT graduate applicants, I know of at least two people in different UofT meds years who had undergrad averages in the low 80's.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Hey Kirsteen,

you're right in that the information has not been made public. I spoke to a doc who was a part of the decision making process, and he mentioend to me (while I was in grad school 2 years ago) that I shoud try really hard to keep all my marks in the A's, cause that would really help my chances at U of T. This is not to say that U of T, like UofO, would eliminate any grad applicants who did not meet this criteria. That detail I am not privy to. I mean (and now speculating), you could probably have a B+ or something but have many excellent publications or LOR's and still be considered. All I meant was, as we all know, the higher the marks the better, even in grad school.

Wish you all the best. Thanks for the point of clarification.

~JZ

Guest Kirsteen

No worries!

That was nice of your doctor pal to share some insider info. It's pretty much a City of Oz as to what goes on within and who's pulling the levers. Incidentally, it surprised me as to how readily committees are formed and how numerous they are within the UofT Faculty of Medicine and its sub-departments. Our department is within the Faculty of Medicine and there are umpteen committees/panels/groups floating around tackling all sorts of issues. It's amazing that, with all the cooks stirring all those broths, anything actually gets done!

Good luck back!

Kirsteen

Guest Guess whoz Bizzak

Astute observation my friend!! Such is the way of life in the health care system! I have worked at the MOH, and now more recently at a U of T affiliated LTC facility, and I have witnessed the inappropriateness and haste with which committees/task forces/working groups etc. are formed. Almost seems like people think that by setting up a group of this sort, or by hiring a consultant, stuff is being accomplished. Seems like I go to meetings all day to put out fires, and don't really have enough time to think, conceptualize, or change the way we practice to reflect the needs of our community. We are now going through an inventory of services and working initiatives (including committees) to pare down the list and allow people to get some work done. It's long over due!

~JZ

Archived