Premed 101 Forums

U of T interview style?!?!

Guest ssup

Hey guys...

I just got an interview invite in the mail today for March 29th and have a few basic questions:

Since I've only had my UBC interview to date, I'm wondering what to expect in Toronto. Can anyone elaborate on similarities/differences between UBC and U of T? I know that U of T is a panel interview with 2 members (doctor+medical student) but I'm wondering whether I should expect interviewers playing devil's advocate like UBC loves to do!!!

Also I've heard that U of C makes you write an essay right b4 your interview...does U of T do anything strange like that as well?

Finally, what does the U of T interview tend to focus on? Our essay/autobiographical sketch or current events and bioethics? Any suggestions would help!!!

Thanks,

ssup

Hey there,

I interviewed at U of T last year and found the style to be very welcoming and calming. They were nice! I still didn't get in, but I thought the experience was fair (unlike some others. . .).

The style is relaxed, and mostly they asked me to elaborate on my essay. The med student threw in a couple of ethical questions here and there, but they went with the flow of the interview. Overall, I would say that my U of T experience was fabulous. I hope yours will be too!

BJ

Hey ssup...congratulations on your interview! I hope that everything goes well. Just wondering where you live (trying to estimate when the batch of letters went out)? Thanks and good luck

Guest Biochem10

BJ,

Hi. I'm just wondering why you didn't get in if you felt like your interview was good. (if you don't mind me asking) I'm wondering because I just had my interview at McGill and I felt like it went pretty well, but I guess my perception of things might be different than what the admissions committee thought about me. The waiting is going to kill me.

Hi Biochem10,

No worries, most people who feel they had good interviews are bang-on, so to speak. I think that my interview was good and FAIR, meaning that I had a chance to express myself to the best of my abilities. For last year, though, it wasn't enough. In retrospect, there are a few things that I interpreted probably incorrectly, and ethical questions that just didn't sit right. But overall, my impression was pretty accurate--i was kept on the wait list until the very end.

In short, I know people who had terrible interviews who still got in, and people who had good interviews who didn't. I hope in this case that luck is on your side!

BJ

Guest Biochem10

Thanks Bj for clarifying that you were on the waitlist and not rejected, I think that makes a big difference! To me being on the waitlist means that you are a good enough candidate to be considered, but unfortunetly with the number of candidates, not all the good ones can snag a spot. If you had been flat out rejected with a good interview experience I would have been surprised. Anyway, good luck with your interviews this year! :D

Archived