Premed 101 Forums

Does this count as a socsci/humanities course?

LINGUIST 1A03

INTRODUCTION TO LINGUISTICS I

This course provides an introduction to the field of linguistics, the scientific study of language. The focus will be on language structure, specifically the core areas of phonetics, phonology and morphology. Topics covered will be exemplified not only through English, but through a wide variety of languages.

Three hours (two lectures, one tutorial); one term

FYI, I'm going to McMaster in the fall so I was just wondering if this would count as a socsci/humanities course to account for the prereq of a full year of a socsci/humanties course for the medschools in ontario?

LINGUIST 1A03

INTRODUCTION TO LINGUISTICS I

This course provides an introduction to the field of linguistics, the scientific study of language. The focus will be on language structure, specifically the core areas of phonetics, phonology and morphology. Topics covered will be exemplified not only through English, but through a wide variety of languages.

Three hours (two lectures, one tutorial); one term

FYI, I'm going to McMaster in the fall so I was just wondering if this would count as a socsci/humanities course to account for the prereq of a full year of a socsci/humanties course for the medschools in ontario?

It should count as a humanities course, as linguistics is usually listed in under the English department.

Of all the social science/ humanities courses out there, how come you are choosing this one? I haven't taken it myself, but I've heard English students complain about it (as it's usually a necessary course in their major).

Hope that helps :)

Haha are you at McMaster? From what I've heard it's a bird course, but I'm still deciding whether or not to take linguistics or economics as my elective. Thanks for the info.

No, at UW. Our linguistics course is 300-level. If it's something you're interested in and want to take (and not to hard), go for it! Also, ECON could be good in case it's a pre-req for more ECON courses (if you like that kind of stuff).

:)

Archived