Premed 101 Forums

GPA Calculation for 4 year applicants at U of A...

Yes. I had the exact same situation. My GPA ended up being a composite of my 2nd and 3rd years. My 4th year GPA was only used at the end to confirm I hadn't fallen off the wagon (i.e. maintained my grades). I asked about this and they confirmed as well, dropped my first year, calculated 2nd and 3rd. So that 3.5 should be non-consequential at UofA.

Yea, the way she explained it to me, I was told they will drop your lowest year if you have 4 years of school by the time you are supposed to start in med school so if you apply during your 4th year, you are a 4 year applicant.

Thanks Kines!

So if you got in (I'm assuming you did?) was there a minimum cut-off given for the fourth year's final GPA?

Kines is in the 3rd year class.

I believe the cutoff is a 3.3? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Kines is in the 3rd year class.

I believe the cutoff is a 3.3? Correct me if I'm wrong.

From the UGME website:

The applicant profiles are made up of:

1. The minimum GPA requirement for applicants with four or more years of post-secondary transferable course work is 3.3 for Alberta residents, 3.5 for non-Alberta residents on the University of Alberta 4-point scale. Minimum grade requirement for two and three year applicants is 3.7.

Yes I did get in...I'm in the first year class, starting this fall :)

From the UGME website:

The applicant profiles are made up of:

1. The minimum GPA requirement for applicants with four or more years of post-secondary transferable course work is 3.3 for Alberta residents, 3.5 for non-Alberta residents on the University of Alberta 4-point scale. Minimum grade requirement for two and three year applicants is 3.7.

Yes I did get in...I'm in the first year class, starting this fall :)

For some reason I was thinking of bones....lol. Congrats!

• 1 month later...

Archived