Premed 101 Forums

Need serious Help... Plz

Hello to all pre-dental/graduates...

I have been reading this form alot these days and just like every other reader (i hope not), im worried, confused and broke as hell... I really wanna do dentistry... but looking at my current GPA (which is about 70% cmv, and about 65% science) i get really depressed some times... There have been ups and downs in my GPA but ive really improved since last year... I am in my 3B term rite now and next year is gonna be my last year before i graduate with a 4 yr Biomedical honors science degree (i go to a Canadian university)... BTW i have not given the DAT test in the past, and that is why im here for your help and suggestions. Now I really need some1 (the experts) to shed some light on what is going through my mind rite now:::: That are:::

If i want to graduate next year i will have to take 3 terms in a row (i.e, Fall 2009, Winter 2010, and Spring 2010) so that means about 15 courses which are 7.5 units and all are going to be 300-400 level courses. I dont mind doing that, that way i will get the degree and finish my undergrad by next spring 2010.

Scenario 1===> Now lets say if i apply to a dental school in the US though AADSAS for 2010 cycle would i be able to get in. Would they consider me cuz i know they start sending the acceptance letter by November/December, and at that time i would be doing my 4B term. Please keep in mind, that in order to finish my degree next year, i still have to do the spring/summer term which is going to be my 5A term. Spring terms are considered a proper term with full course load at my institution.

Scenario 2===> Lets say if I do not apply through AADSAS this year for 2010 cycle, and apply next june/july for 2011 cycle, and decide not to do the summer term (2010) and leave my 5A term to Fall 2010 and then graduate from biomed, I would be literally wasting a whole year???

Now please tell me what do i do... Should i graduate next year and apply for 2010 cycle and do my DAT within next few months or wait for 2011 cycle... I know that my GPA is not good enough but i can work my a$$ off and pull my science to about 67-68% because i will be doing only hardcore science courses next year.

It must be a stupid question but how much is 70% on a scale of 4.0, how do u convert it???

I hope any1 out there would be willing to help me out... i apologize if this was a bit boring and lengthy to read.

Please help...

Sincerely,

MHK :(

I would suggest waiting a year and taking some courses that interest you to boost your grades even if it mean only a small increase. Since you have that extra time you can work on studying for the DAT, and you'll want stellar scores on that since too be honest your GPA could be better. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but strong PAT and RC scores seem to be very important to American schools, more so than the Ontario schools. So nail the DAT for sure, since that would be a great deal of help to you. I'm also going to be waiting another year if I don't get in this cycle which I think is the common approach, so no big deal in 1 year lost. 70% I think translates to a 3.0 and 77-79 is a 3.3.

hope that helps

Well assuming that 3.0 is your GPA, you will really need to ace the DAT. There are students who get accepted with 3.0 and under (look for "under 3.0 club") but the chances are, you are below par. I think to be quite competitive as a Canadian, you need about 3.5 GPA.

Study hard to boost it up or maybe consider doing masters.

As for GPA conversion.

4.0 = 90%

3.9 = 85-89

3.7 = 80-84

3.3 = 77-79

3.0 = 74-76

2.7 = 70-73

2.3 etc....

Take everyone 0.5 credit and convert it... if its a 1.0, do it twice.

After you do all 30 courses (15.0 credits) approx. add them all up, divide them by the total that will give you the GPA

the AADSAS instructions state that if the schools do not indicate a corresponding letter grade to each numeric grade, then it will be defaulted to the AADSAS standardized scale:

100-90 = 4.0

89-80 = 3.0

79-70 = 2.0

69-60 = 1.0

<60 = 0.0

Archived