Premed 101 Forums

how to find a doctor to shadow?

Start with your family doctor! I already had somewhat of a rapport built up with him, so that was my first thought.

I encountered the confidentiality issue, but I was able to talk the clinic into it (with the doctors help, obviously). I had other volunteering in a local ER, so I contacted the volunteer coordinator and got a copy of the confidentiality contract I had signed 2 years prior. I scanned it, ran OCR on it, and send it as a fresh PDF to the clinic. They made some quick modifications and I signed it.

It has been a truly rewarding experience, and I feel I've gained more in 4 months than I did in 2 years in the ER. Both great experiences, but I have really appreciated the amount of one-on-one time with the physician as well as the patients.

Keep at it, you'll get in.

Start with your family doctor! I already had somewhat of a rapport built up with him, so that was my first thought.

I encountered the confidentiality issue, but I was able to talk the clinic into it (with the doctors help, obviously). I had other volunteering in a local ER, so I contacted the volunteer coordinator and got a copy of the confidentiality contract I had signed 2 years prior. I scanned it, ran OCR on it, and send it as a fresh PDF to the clinic. They made some quick modifications and I signed it.

It has been a truly rewarding experience, and I feel I've gained more in 4 months than I did in 2 years in the ER. Both great experiences, but I have really appreciated the amount of one-on-one time with the physician as well as the patients.

Keep at it, you'll get in.

thanks a lot, but what if I don't have a family doctor...

I'm a student in UBC so I use UBC hospital as my family doctor...lol

what should I do then?

Archived