Premed 101 Forums

Kaplan DAT prep course

I found the Kaplan course and imo, found it TERRIBLE.

Pro:

- lots of material to study from

- decent exams to practice on

Con:

- I had a really bad instructor. She was not prepared at all. Every single class, there was always something that she had to "look up, get back to you guys". Basically, it gave me the impression that Kaplan just hires anyone who did reasonably well on the DAT, and doesn't train them to teach. I don't know if anyone else got this impression, but maybe I just had an unlucky one.

- There really isn't anything in the classes that you can't learn on your own (well, maybe going to the PAT and carving class will help). The lessons are very brief summaries that go over the chapters in their textbooks and frankly, I found the science lessons a waste of time (but I do have a science background so that maybe why I found it easier)

If I could do it again?

- I would buy the Kaplan books from someone and study off of it and get tutored by someone who did well on their PAT. Kaplan is approx $1000 and if you spent a fraction of that on paying a PAT tutor, I think you'd get a better return with a higher PAT score. The tutor could probably give u the basic lesson on the carving too but there's not much you can "learn" about carving 'cept the basic fundamentals (which they explain in the carving manual that comes with soap) and practice

I echo mach. Kaplan is lame. Princeton>kaplan.

Kaplan is only good for it's qbank. So I've heard. I've crappy science background, (I'm non science major). That's the only reason that I might do it.

I've qs:

1. Does it comes with the books for the overall cost of 900?

2.how long and when is it offer?

3. How many times a year is it offer?

Hey, as far as I know,

1) the course itself is about $1300 Canadian and they provide you with everything.

2) There is a class starting mid July that will run to early Sept

3) lol no idea but I didn't hear anyone taking the course during school year so i am guessing it is only summer.

If Kaplan DAT is not very good, how about Princeton?

Archived