Premed 101 Forums

Do programs see how you rank them?

tyro

Say I'm interested in a really competitve specialty, and I apply to 10 programs in my first choice specialty. Will these programs see how I ranked each program, and will this affect my chances? For example, would the 10th program I ranked see that I ranked them last and would they then use this against me?

What if I also to family medicine as a backup - would family medicine programs know that they are my second choice speciality(and then use this against me)?

Programs will not see how you rank them. Family Medicine programs might be able to guess you are using them as a back up if your application seems totally geared to say, plastics, and has no family medicine content showing genuine interest in the specialty.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you guys sure? Would they ask us during the interview? And if so, what is the best approach to take?

Yep, they don`t see how you rank them.

They are not supposed to ask you how you will rank programs during your interview. However, you will find that some programs will still ask questions they aren`t supposed to ask. So it is good to be prepared with responses to "illegal" questions.

When we did our interview prep it was suggested to answer vaguely...something like, I plan on ranking your program highly. But that is just an opinion. You could probably get different answers from different people.

Is it looked upon badly if we refuse to answer such questions? And since they have no way of knowing, can we just outright lie and say that we are ranking there program first? I know it's kindda dishonest, but they're not suppose to ask us those kinds of questions anyways right!

If a program ranks you high enough to match there, yet you end up somewhere else, then they will know you ranked another program higher. You can express strong interest in a program without committing verbally to ranking them first. At the interview stage, you are likely still in the process of gathering information about various programs, and often people will change their minds about ranking up until the deadline, so it is not unreasonable to state you have not made your final decision yet.

Archived