Premed 101 Forums

Government Loans and Parents

So I'm starting dental school this fall and was in the process of applying for government loans to see how much I can get from them first before moving to bank loans. But here's my dilemma: I just filled out the forms on the loans website and was required to input my parents' incomes which together total more than $150k a year. However they have already told me that they will not be aiding me in paying for dental school. What options is there to do for me in this situation? I feel it's rather unfair that because of the information I provided I will probably not be getting much in terms of government loans.

Have you been out of high school for 4 years? For OSAP once you've been out of high school for 4 years you don't need to enter your parents' info if you don't want to. I qualified for over $13K this way.

Otherwise, in undergrad I had a friend who didn't speak to her parents so she registered herself as an "independent" on OSAP... not sure how exactly you do that but look into it!

BC is the same way. If you've been out of highschool for 4 years or more, you are considered a Group B (basically an independent), and parents are not expected (by the federal definition) to help pay for you.

Waht province did you fill out the loan application for?

Most people have completed 4+ years in university before getting into Dental School. Thus, in most cases, parental income no longer play a role. Review the instructions to see if that is the case.

I think what was mentioned previously applies to all provinces. However, keep in mind that the amount you receive will also be dictated by whether you live at home. Obviously, you get less if you live at home.

In BC, I believe you max at 15-18K per year, more if you live on your own. Thus, expect a LOC from the bank.

Archived