Premed 101 Forums

WS Feedback Please

Slimy

Hi,

I have less than a month left till my MCAT and

I have JUST started practicing writing.

I don't know if I am on the right track or not. Please help!

An understanding of the past is necessary for solving problems of the present.

The Humankind has repeated itself many times throughout the history. Thus, the human history is often referred to as the wheel of time. It signifies that an understanding of the past is crucial for solving present problems. In the World War II, the United States dropped two nuclear bombs in cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It is obvious that the nuclear bombs had and still has tremendously detrimental effects on innocent civilians who resided and is residing in the bombarded cities. In the Cold War, immediately following the World War II, countries around the globe had put tremendous effort in developing stronger nuclear weapons at the cost of economic underdevelopment. However, this time, the nations around the world clearly understood the devastation of nuclear attacks. With the fear of another nuclear attack, they gathered to sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT). NPT was signed to accelerate the disposal of current nuclear weapons and to demote further nuclear testing and development. As the result, the Cold War ended without any breakage of actual warfares among nations. Thus, in this case, the understanding of the past was essential in finding solution to the problem of continuous armsrace among nations during the Cold War.

However, understanding of the past is not always necessary in treating present problems. This is especially true for newly arising issues that have not been faced in the history. One of these issues is the scalloping child obesity rate in North America. In the continent, the child obesity rate has more than doubled in last twenty-five years. North Americans have not experienced such statistical tragedy in their past. Throughout the North American history, the health of our children had not been at greater risk than it has now. Thus, the North American governments have no experience in the past to resolve this problem. Therefore, in this case, recognition of the past does not help reaching the solution of the problem. The government officals and health professionals must come up with new solutions. The governments must try to reduce the child obesity through new trials and endeavors, such as making gym classes mandatory throughout secondary education. Therefore, solving newly arising problems, such as the steeply increasing child obesity rate, does not require an understanding of the past.

Conclusively, the importance of an understanding about the past in solving current problems really depends on whether the existence of past phenomena or events related to the current problems. If a related problem was experienced in the history, an understanding of the past problem is important in solving the present problem. Recognition of the detrimental effects of nuclear attacks from the World War II was essential in ending the Cold War without any actual warfares. However, if present problem, such as the overwhelmingly rising child obesity rate in North America, has no connection to any phenomenon in the history, it would be unnecessary and unwise to look into the past in the hope of finding a solution. In this case, finding solutions through new approaches and ongoing experiments would be highly recommended.

Thank You!

Archived