Premed 101 Forums

No Prereqs

I searched through the forums, and while questions very similar were addressed, I have some additional issues. :confused:

I'm one term away from completing my BSc in Psych at UofT (should be done my course credits by Dec 09).

I recently realized that I would like to go to med school, however, I have no required prereqs (no chem, bio, etc-nothing). My undergrad didn't require it, and I was scared that taking such courses would hurt my GPA.

What would you guys recommend? :confused:

1) that I finish off my undergrad (all electives) at UofT, and try to get into premed courses in Jan 2010 in another university (I was thinking Ryerson, with the assumption that premed would be easier here than UofT). I understand I would be considered a non-degree student, and probably will have a hard time finding space in these courses. Also, in the winter term, part 2 of those introductory courses will be offered, and I haven't looked into their policy of taking part 2 without taking part 1. I would eventually take part 1 in the summer.

2) Considering that I only need electives left, take premed courses at UofT. I'm scared of doing this, because I fear that my CGPA will decline, and as of now, I'm trying to graduate with High Distinction. Though, I don't think it matter for med school. Another fear, is what if I don't get into med school, and want to try out for grad school after, a lower GPA would hurt my chances then too.

Do med schools care if you take premed courses elsewhere than your undergrad institution?

FYI, my CGPA isn't that great, its 3.61 (this is w/o any premed prereqs). :eek:

Please help. :)

THANKS!!

I searched through the forums, and while questions very similar were addressed, I have some additional issues. :confused:

I'm one term away from completing my BSc in Psych at UofT (should be done my course credits by Dec 09).

I recently realized that I would like to go to med school, however, I have no required prereqs (no chem, bio, etc-nothing). My undergrad didn't require it, and I was scared that taking such courses would hurt my GPA.

1) that I finish off my undergrad (all electives) at UofT, and try to get into premed courses in Jan 2010 in another university (I was thinking Ryerson, with the assumption that premed would be easier here than UofT). I understand I would be considered a non-degree student, and probably will have a hard time finding space in these courses. Also, in the winter term, part 2 of those introductory courses will be offered, and I haven't looked into their policy of taking part 2 without taking part 1. I would eventually take part 1 in the summer.

2) Considering that I only need electives left, take premed courses at UofT. I'm scared of doing this, because I fear that my CGPA will decline, and as of now, I'm trying to graduate with High Distinction. Though, I don't think it matter for med school. Another fear, is what if I don't get into med school, and want to try out for grad school after, a lower GPA would hurt my chances then too.

Do med schools care if you take premed courses elsewhere than your undergrad institution?

THANKS!!

Regarding your first option, I think many of the part 2 courses will require you to have already taken part 1. You should look into it, but that's the way it was where I did my undergrad, anyways. You basically need the knowledge from part 1 to do part 2. If you don't have it, it might also be harder for you to do well in your courses.

One thing you could do is take the pre-reqs with AthabascaU (distance ed). As far as I know the vast majority of schools accept that format, and you could take the part 1 in January and the part 2 immediately after you finish (the classes at Athabasca U start whenever you want them to, and end whenever you want them to within a certain time period). Also, from my experience the marking is reasonable, so it would be possible for you to do well in the courses you take at that university, if you're willing to do the work.

if your "scared" to take the basic science intro courses..maybe you should reconsider medicine...dont be hesitant...if you arnt comforable now..what makes you sure you will be in med school (even though its pass fail system)..

what makes you sure you will do well on the mcats,

or even with ryerson (it is not a walk in the park- and averages are still low; from what I hear)...

I think 99% of people here/med..have taken all the hard sci pre reqs (bio, chem, phys, math, and mountian biking) during their first year.

The mcats are all hard sci based...

there is no easy way out (trust me..ive looked into every ally)...bc they will catch you....

I would take all the pre reqs at uoft and see, if yes? this is cut out for me...

I can do this, Iam cut out for this, Iam cut out for the mcats, Iam ready for medschool, Iam ready for 1st year

Dont half ass stuff (that i one think I learned..

backup plans are good..but remeber there the back ups...not your number one goal...)

give it a 100%,

THANKS!!

Personally, I don't see any advantage to taking courses purely for the sake of satisfying pre-requisites at institutions that purposely weed out students with confusing exam questions for the sake of preserving an "aura of excellence". I've already demonstrated my personal bias with that statement, but having taken a half-year physiology course at Waterloo, then written the MCAT, and then taken a full-year physiology course at Toronto that covered the same material (as part of a graduate program), I can safely say that the Toronto exam was the most confusing POS that I had ever seen. I felt that despite knowing the material, they purposely asked questions in the most confusing manner possible. How do double and triple negatives in a 200-level course test your understanding of a subject?

Anyway, soapbox aside, there are many ways to take pre-reqs that don't require you to be a full-time day student. However, keep in mind that you will be supplying transcripts from any post-secondary institutions that you attend. Depending on the school, the marks may or may not count. For example, for schools that simply take your last 20 courses (or whatever equivalent credit scheme), they will probably count towards your GPA; schools that only consider terms with a full course load probably won't count them in your GPA and they will just satisfy the pre-requisites.

There are numerous mentions of Athabasca here. Consider also Waterloo's DE courses, Ryerson's Chang school of continuing education, and Toronto's own School of Continuing Studies. These may offer you options to take courses at night or on your own time if they are completely web-based (as many of Waterloo's DE courses are).

Slashsev did make a good point about the MCAT: as a standardized exam, this is one thing that you must do well on and may indicate whether you can assimilate the basic sciences necessary for survival in medical school. (with the exception of organic chemistry, which is on the MCAT, but is not useful in med school) This should be your true test, and you should tailor your pre-reqs and course timing to prepare for it.

THANKS!!

One other thing - you don't mention it here, but why do you want to go to medical school? Hopefully you have picked up enough volunteer work in your areas of interest to put together an application. You don't seem that confident about what happens if you don't get in right away. Make sure you give it some thought. You mention grad school as an option, but keep in mind that it's not a great backup plan if you don't really like research and are using it simply to continue applying to medical school ...

cary_fan--Thank you, I will definitely look into those schools

I have been hearing alot of full course loads for med schools, is that essentially what your undergrad school considers full (for UofT, 5 then?).

I have been taking 4 courses per term every since second year, would this hurt my chances?

Also, to be honest, I was at first considering grad school in psychology, but lately, I have realized that I don't want to spend the rest of my life in research and academia. I would eventually like to go into psychiatry, and deal more with patients.

And, in terms of experience, I've volunteered in various psych labs, and worked as a RA in hospitals (research based), and TA as well. Would I need more med-focused experience?

I was at first considering grad school in psychology, but lately, I have realized that I don't want to spend the rest of my life in research and academia. I would eventually like to go into psychiatry, and deal more with patients.

Did you consider a career in clinical psychology, as a clinical psychologist? You would deal with patients as much as in psychiatry with such a career. Not to turn you away from medicine, but I've never heard of someone changing from psych to med because psych wasn't clinical enough... If you're not too fond of research you could do a PsyD degree instead of a PhD, with no PhD thesis to write and more clinical experience instead.

Did you consider a career in clinical psychology, as a clinical psychologist? You would deal with patients as much as in psychiatry with such a career. Not to turn you away from medicine, but I've never heard of someone changing from psych to med because psych wasn't clinical enough... If you're not too fond of research you could do a PsyD degree instead of a PhD, with no PhD thesis to write and more clinical experience instead.

I have thought about that option. But, I wanted to keep my options open and take the necessary prereqs.

I'm surprised no one's addressing her course load.

Most med schools require that you take a full-course load (5 courses per semester).

In all honesty, you may have some trouble with a few med schools if you've only taken 4 courses every year since 2nd year. At least with the med schools that have the special considerations like UWO/Queen's with their best/last 2 year GPA cut-offs.

However, i think some schools will still accept you under cGPA...

I'm surprised no one's addressing her course load.

Most med schools require that you take a full-course load (5 courses per semester).

In all honesty, you may have some trouble with a few med schools if you've only taken 4 courses every year since 2nd year. At least with the med schools that have the special considerations like UWO/Queen's with their best/last 2 year GPA cut-offs.

However, i think some schools will still accept you under cGPA...

Yeah, I was worried about that too. Some schools say they don't apply the weighted formula to students who don't take a full course load. Would I be fine then or will this hurt my chances?

Also, when taking prereqs, would I have to take 5 courses at a time as well? I am thinking of taking my required premed courses in a continuing education facility.

Also, do US schools have this same criteria of full course loads?

Yeah, I was worried about that too. Some schools say they don't apply the weighted formula to students who don't take a full course load. Would I be fine then or will this hurt my chances?

Also, when taking prereqs, would I have to take 5 courses at a time as well? I am thinking of taking my required premed courses in a continuing education facility.

Also, do US schools have this same criteria of full course loads?

Well, in honesty, I'm going to guess that you won't get the benefit of the weighting formula. However, for schools that look at your cGPA it might not matter. I'm just more concerned for you for the schools that take your best two or last 2 years (last 3 years for Ottawa). I know that for Co-Op students that they tend to divide their study blocks up to make them fit into full course load years.

For the pre-reqs, I'm pretty sure you don't have to take them full-time. Unless you're going for the cGPA cut-offs, I think most schools don't even care when or even where you did your pre-reqs just as long as you have them. That's why a lot of pre-med students take courses like Organic Chem during the summer. But yeah, just be wary that schools like McMaster will look at ALL your marks.

I'm not too well versed about US schools. But from what I understand they divide your GPA into a science GPA and a cGPA. And since all your remaining pre-reqs are probably science... I'd probably check out some US med schools that you're interested in and either find out on their website or call their admissions.

Have you tought of going through the course material yourself from Jan-Aug...then the following september taking the actual courses as a non-degree student somewhere....I think it will get you up to gear on your introductory sciences and you should do pretty well in the actual courses.

good luck!

No, to be honest, I haven't even considered that. I was hoping to apply for 2011 admissions, so wouldn't I have to have most of prereqs completed by then?

I am planning on taking the MCATs next summer.

No, to be honest, I haven't even considered that. I was hoping to apply for 2011 admissions, so wouldn't I have to have most of prereqs completed by then?

I am planning on taking the MCATs next summer.

I think as long as your transcript indicates that you're registered in these courses by september of 2010 you're ok. Keep in mind though that any acceptance will be conditional on successfully completing these courses. The only problem you might run into is taking 2nd year courses that are contingent on 1st year prerequisites (i.e organic)

Regarding the MCAT if you find that you're understanding the information well enough there's no harm in taking the test next summer.

Just something to think about!

________

WILLIAM CLAY FORD, SR. PICTURE

keep in mind it can take a few years to be accepted, especially with the parts of your application that you need to address (taking the science pre-reqs and mcat) if you really want to get going with your life, applying to medicine might slow that down. i don't think you should assume you will get accepted in 2011, you need to be realistic about it. if you want to be a doctor you will keep applying and keep working towards your goal even if it takes a few years. it's a difficult process and you should bear that in mind. as you are already doing psychology and seem to want to deal with patients more, you may want to really look into that. often in medicine you are forced to be very efficient and not necessarily take the time with patients that you seem to be interested in. as a psychologist you will get to know most of your patients and have a lot more time and contact with them. it sounds like a pretty interesting career path. just a thought.

Archived