Premed 101 Forums

Which schools to apply to ?

I am going into my 4th year in University of Toronto.

GPA: 3.78

cGPA: ~ 3.70 - 3.72 i think

MCAT: writing it this September..

ECs: nothing fancy... hospital volunteering, scholarships/awards, sports, summer research, other volunteering...

I prefer to go to Canadian Med Schools..

But the thing is I don't HAVE PHYSICS & ENGLISH.. so I don't think I can apply to many of out-of-province schools.. if I don't get in this year, I'll probably do another year to take physics and english...

I want to know which schools I should apply to and roughly what scores in MCAT I need for each schools.. I was hoping Queen's but just saw they're class size is so tiny... 100...

Thanks for the help !

ECs: nothing fancy... hospital volunteering, scholarships/awards, sports, summer research, other volunteering...

But the thing is I don't know PHYSICS & ENGLISH.. so I don't think I can apply to many of out-of-province schools.. if I don't get in this year, I'll probably do another year to take physics and english...

I want to know which schools I should apply to and roughly what scores in MCAT I need for each schools.. I was hoping Queen's but just saw they're class size is so tiny... 100...

Thanks for the help !

1) It's a bold statement saying you do not know any English, considering you are writing this post in English

2) Your GPA is in that iffy zone, you might have a chance at OOP schools or you may not, it depends on your ECs

3) Usually a 10 in each section of MCAT is favorable, but you may be able to get away with a 9 or an 8, if you can excel on the other sections of the MCAT

4) How in the world does you MCAT score related to the class size that Queens has? Consider looking at the Queens Thread to see their cut-off for this year... this is why each school has its own section on this forum

1) It's a bold statement saying you do not know any English, considering you are writing this post in English

2) Your GPA is in that iffy zone, you might have a chance at OOP schools or you may not, it depends on your ECs

3) Usually a 10 in each section of MCAT is favorable, but you may be able to get away with a 9 or an 8, if you can excel on the other sections of the MCAT

4) How in the world does you MCAT score related to the class size that Queens has? Consider looking at the Queens Thread to see their cut-off for this year... this is why each school has its own section on this forum

my bad..i dont HAVE physics and english credits..lol

Your stats arent very ourstanding. You will have trouble with GPA especially with OOP schools, and with some IP schools like Ottawa for example. To be honest, there are loads of students with cGPAs 3.8+, and competing against them, you will need ourstanding ECs and MCAT. "Nothing fancy" might not cut it.

Go to the OMSAS website and look up the min requirements, and average admission stats for each school.

But the thing is I don't HAVE PHYSICS & ENGLISH.. so I don't think I can apply to many of out-of-province schools.. if I don't get in this year, I'll probably do another year to take physics and english...

Without physics and english, your choices are limited further. I'm not sure what school require specific courses and which dont, but you might want to do another year to boost your GPA. Remember that since you are applying in this cycle, your 4th year GPA does not count.

Thanks for the help !

Queen's class size isnt "tiny". Its actually quite average. A tiny class size would be say NOSM with ~54. Most med schools have class sizes ranging between 100 and 200.

You want your MCAT scores to be at least 11 or higher in each area and probably at least P in the writing sample to be competitive.

Archived