Premed 101 Forums

Advice on my Application

DOC_Ma

Hey all dear premeds/meds, I have something to ask you guys. Here's the brief description of my situation.

currently I am doing an NSERC at a biology lab at which I also have volunteered for 1 year beforehand. I have almost completed 2 projects with my professor and another project with his master student and about to start 2 new ones. I have already talked to my professor about publications and stuff, he promised me that since I have done a significant amount of work on all of these projects and I will be writing some of the paper so I will at least be a co-author on all 3 or 4 paper that will come out. My problem is that it takes quite a bit of time for the paper to be published (most likely will pass the omsas deadline for application) so what should I do? How can I mention to med school that I will publish a few papers soon; or should I go nuts and crank them out as soon as possible in order to meet the deadlines? Please help as this is very important especially for University of Toronto.

Hey all dear premeds/meds, I have something to ask you guys. Here's the brief description of my situation.

currently I am doing an NSERC at a biology lab at which I also have volunteered for 1 year beforehand. I have almost completed 2 projects with my professor and another project with his master student and about to start 2 new ones. I have already talked to my professor about publications and stuff, he promised me that since I have done a significant amount of work on all of these projects and I will be writing some of the paper so I will at least be a co-author on all 3 or 4 paper that will come out. My problem is that it takes quite a bit of time for the paper to be published (most likely will pass the omsas deadline for application) so what should I do? How can I mention to med school that I will publish a few papers soon; or should I go nuts and crank them out as soon as possible in order to meet the deadlines? Please help as this is very important especially for University of Toronto.

will you have them written up and submitted for publication by the time OMSAS comes around? If so, it's perfectly acceptable to write "submitted for publication" or "publication pending" (although future_doc will disagree with the latter).

Some people write "in preparation" for one that is currently being written up, but I think that's ****ing lame to see.

will you have them written up and submitted for publication by the time OMSAS comes around? If so, it's perfectly acceptable to write "submitted for publication" or "publication pending" (although future_doc will disagree with the latter).

Some people write "in preparation" for one that is currently being written up, but I think that's ****ing lame to see.

what do u mean by OMSAS comes around? the deadline in October? or some other time I missed?

Doesn't it clearly state in the OMSAS detailed sketch not to include publications that are submitted or in preparation?

Research

Specify your education level, ie: 1st year of university and the title of the project. Indicate the type of publications: paper, abstract and presentation at a scientific meeting etc., accepted or published with a reference, but not submitted or in preparation.

On COMPASS, when you add a research item to the sketch and then click on Add/Change Details, that's what the instructions say at the top of the page.

gryph, you are a genius and/or so very thorough, thank you. I referred the OP in post no. 4 to a previous discussion that went on and on about the issue. Had you simply given us all then the benefit of your investigation, we all would have been further ahead and brought our discussion to a swift end.

The process of learning is about asking the right questions. You certainly do this and in a manner to learn the right answers quickly.:P

If I was the OP, I would work as hard as possible to complete and submit the publications prior to submitting the OMSAS application.

I'm in the same boat of trying to get things accepted before October, as I have a couple that are in prep/submitted.

Note that if one is a graduate student applying to UofT, you can list in prep and submitted on the CV you submit with your supplemental graduate application.

I'm in the same boat of trying to get things accepted before October, as I have a couple that are in prep/submitted.

Note that if one is a graduate student applying to UofT, you can list in prep and submitted on the CV you submit with your supplemental graduate application.

Depending upon your theme for your UofT essay, re research, you may be able to mention your research work and papers you are working on, etc.,so, one way or the other, it can become part of your package.

If I was the OP, I would work as hard as possible to complete and submit the publications prior to submitting the OMSAS application.

If I was the OP, I would not do that. As was just pointed out, you can't say "submitted" or "in preparation" on the OMSAS application. Seeing as a publication can take about 2-3 (or a lot more) months to get accepted, if the OP submitted the journal today there's a slim chance it will get accepted before October 15th. You're best off not rushing it, submit when you do, and hopefully by the time for interviews it will be accepted and you'll be able to talk about it there.

Although not accepted or published and although it cannot be referred to in the sketch, the U/T essay does not have such contraints and then at the interviews it may be possible to being up that it has been accepted or published. It would be interesting to know what the OP does. For sure the OP knows best. And each thread on this topic is a learnign experience for us all.

Archived