Premed 101 Forums

Kaplan Verbal: killing me softly

touchthesky

Hey guys,

I am really getting frustrated with some of the explainations for Kaplan Verbal. If anyone has the Kaplan VR book, and can look up question 34, passage VI, test 5, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The passage concerns motivation for scientific fraud and its implications, and I am not sure why choice "B" is incorrect. Choice "C" (scientists believe that they are probing the secrets of nature) doesn't seem inferred to me, but explicit. The analogy lead me to choice "B" because "scientists face great temptations to cheat when compiling data" seems like an implied conclusion to me from the entire analogy.

Thoughts?!?!

Hey guys,

I am really getting frustrated with some of the explainations for Kaplan Verbal. If anyone has the Kaplan VR book, and can look up question 34, passage VI, test 5, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The passage concerns motivation for scientific fraud and its implications, and I am not sure why choice "B" is incorrect. Choice "C" (scientists believe that they are probing the secrets of nature) doesn't seem inferred to me, but explicit. The analogy lead me to choice "B" because "scientists face great temptations to cheat when compiling data" seems like an implied conclusion to me from the entire analogy.

Thoughts?!?!

Is this a passage from the Kaplan VR only book (not the regular, full out purple Kaplan book)?

^ Yes...it's from the separate book...I am so tempted to just scan the passage if no one has it. lol...

Yeah, I've got access to the comprehensive, purple Kaplan book. Wanted to double check though.

I'll try to help if you can somehow post the passage and questions.

Good luck!

Never mind...i think mine is an older edition. Question 34 is about scientists but not fraud..its about scientists compared to accountants.

I'm sorry! I wish I could have helped. if it means anything, i find my edition of Kaplan VR has some weeeeeird explanations as well. ones that makes you say 'oh come onnnn!!!"

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of your replies! I do indeed have the EK book but I like to practice a few passages from the Kaplan book everyday to see how I'm doing. I usually like to do individual passages, time myself, and then review it right after to see what I got right/wrong. Some of the explanations are ridiculous though, especially for the more abstract passages that actually focus on NOTHING! lol...

I used to be a fan of the humanities before this LOL.

Many thanks once again :)

Hey guys,

Thoughts?!?!

Funny, I went over this passage before. I also thought it was choice B at the time because it seemed like it was implied, but it's not specific enough.

My explanation:

Choice B sounds really good but cheating to compile data will get you no where in the card game analogy because cheating would be: you'd either be faking your own cards (fake data) or seeing/knowing what Nature's cards are. Cheating while compiling the data (or fake data) isn't really the point of the analogy. The analogy is more about finding out what Nature's cards are. The "compiling data" part of it ruined the answer. Also, I think choice B would be right if the question referred to the passage as a whole.

But in choice C, you are only trying to find out what is on Nature's cards, which is the whole point of the analogy. The second last line in the last paragraph gave this away. The only inference here is to conclude that this card analogy is the same as the scientist and the research data. This is a specific answer for a specific question.

P.S. this one was really tricky.

Funny, I went over this passage before. I also thought it was choice B at the time because it seemed like it was implied, but it's not specific enough.

My explanation:

Choice B sounds really good but cheating to compile data will get you no where in the card game analogy because cheating would be: you'd either be faking your own cards (fake data) or seeing/knowing what Nature's cards are. Cheating while compiling the data (or fake data) isn't really the point of the analogy. The analogy is more about finding out what Nature's cards are. The "compiling data" part of it ruined the answer. Also, I think choice B would be right if the question referred to the passage as a whole.

But in choice C, you are only trying to find out what is on Nature's cards, which is the whole point of the analogy. The second last line in the last paragraph gave this away. The only inference here is to conclude that this card analogy is the same as the scientist and the research data. This is a specific answer for a specific question.

P.S. this one was really tricky.

Ahh ok I totally understand what you mean! After reading your rationale, I can't even remember why I chose B...lol...you made it very clear! Thanks so much!! - If only Kaplan answers were clear like yours!! haha :)

Edit: I just re-read the question and saw that it says, in the question stem: "within the context of the passage..." LOL. I think that's why I chose B! Sigh - I guess this passage is a hopeless case. I just hope the actual MCAT won't be this tricky. lol

Archived