Premed 101 Forums

HELP HELP HELP!

Guest Eyes2NV

Guest Eyes2NV

Hi everyone,

I am going to UFT in September. Here's the deal:

I decided to pursue medicine this past december (OAC year). Now, I have my grade 11 biology and chemistry, however I did not take the OAC biology/chemistry. I decided to go for medicine with a semester left of school and I didn't have time to take the OAC chem/bio. Any of you that go to university, are there courses where you can take the equivalences of the OACs? I know that there HAS to be a way around the system, I mean, they can't just shut me out that easily, right?

Thank you to anyone that can help!!!!

Guest Penelope

You can check with UofT's course calender to see if there are any introductory courses that you can take (instead of your OACs). I'm pretty sure there are. However, if you want to take a much cheaper route, then I suggest you contact the Toronto School Board and get information on their "Continuing Education" program. This program will allow you to take correspondence courses for approx. 30 bucks a course (and they are recognized as REAL courses). This way, you can go through it at your own pace. I HIGHLY doubt that you will be "shut out"; it's just a matter finding out what your options are. So, do a bit of research and then make some calls...and pretty soon you'll be on your way to acquiring those much need preqs.

Cheers,

Penelope

Guest JSS02

You can take BIO150 even without OAC bio if you go talk to them. As for chemistry, they've recently introduced the OAC requirement - I don't know if they would consider waiving it or not, but if they don't, then you still have a few options. You can go the correspondence route suggested above, or look at intro to chem courses at other nearby campuses or universities to see if they require OAC chem. UTM, UT Scarborough (in which case you could do chemistry during the year) or taking a summer course at York are all possibilities.

Archived