Premed 101 Forums

for asystole

Guest stargirl

Guest stargirl

just curious - what kind of extracurrics did you have, how did your interview go? i'm trying to gauge my place on the wait-list so any info you can give me would be awesome and much appreciated!

by the way, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! you must be absolutely ecstatic.

Guest Asystole

Thanks I am totally ecstatic. I don't know how much help this will be because I am a rather atypical applicant.

But for what it's worth here goes:

Interview- my perception was that the Faculty member loved me because I am kind of a "straight-shooter" who told him what I thought and not what I thought was the "right" answer. The student wasn't sure what to think of me so I don't know how the score would have come out but it was probably alright.

Which is a good seg-way to Extracurrics:I have lots of work experience at menial jobs and a community college diploma but nothing health related. I have been a hospital patient though, for surgery and talked about the experience in my essay and interview. I have old extracurric stuff from high school(camera club,etc.) and a few leisure activities listed. I am not in any clubs or anything at University but I am married. This will probably raise a few eyebrows but I have NO volunteer work or research. I started doing some volunteer in a lab this summer but nothing on last year's app. The Faculty member was actually impressed that I stood up for not having done volunteer work just to pad my resume but I would not recommend this approach to anyone else (he told me I was only the 2nd applicant he had ever seen without volunteer experience). And I do have other experiences that largely compensate for this volunteerism deficiency some of which I have talked about above. And I think that my Health Science degree probably helped me out at least on the interview.

So that's it in sort of a nutshell, I sure it will still be difficult to assess your position in relation to mine but I completely understand the urge to try and determine your chances. Best of luck Stargirl and Everyone Else

Archived