Premed 101 Forums

Round 2

Guest delusional

Guest delusional

If by chance one doesn't make it off the waiting list, and therefore reapplies the next year, what happends in regard to the following:

1. Will having an interview last year and screwing up a question have any bearing on a subsequent interview invite? (ie. is this material retained for following years)

2. Will applying a second time have any negative affects in receiving another interview invite?

Thanks

Guest BrainDrain

I've applied 3 times to UofT:

First time: waitlisted

Second time: No interview >:

Third time (this year): accepted in 1st round

Also, when I asked UofT why I got rejected the second time, they told me that I didn't improve my application enough to warrant an interview.>: So if you are re-applying to UofT, not only do you have to compete against other applicants, you have to compete against yourself as they compare you to your previous application. This is directly from the horse's mouth!

BrainDrain

I like the horses's mouth bit, but I don't think that having your other application on file in bad...

I you show that you made great efforts to improve you application, then it can only look good. For example, you volunteer in a new setting, you bring up your grades, you improve you essay... that can only look good. AND you are showing that you are continuously trying to be the best candidate you can be... which is an advantage that a first-time applicants do not have.

And about the interview question, I don't think that they will remember you in the sense of "... that was the guy who scratched his but when asked why he wanted to be a doctor...". If you apply again next year, your reapplication should look good (they ask us what we would do if we did not get in... and we all know the right answer to that one).

SNCR

Guest delusional

how much is considered beefing up?

- I can improve my essay a bit, yet is it acceptable to keep 60% of it the same and just change a few examples etc? (after all, i used my best ones)

- I can add/change about 8 new things to my autobio sketch, including new research etc.

- Can (should) one use the same referees for ref letters?

Does the entire application need to be distinctly and drastically different?

Mabye i should ask them directly....

god man... you're obsessive... relax, and take some time to honestly reflect and think about why you were not chosen. asking people about how to improve YOUR application does little. only you and some personal insight will help. chilling out will probably help too.

good luck

Guest delusional

thanks for the insights (especially BrainDrain for expounding your learning experience and saving me time). Right now I think i'll settle back at the cottage, relax in front of the lake with a cold one, and sleep.

Guest utapp

I guess you have to emphasise your newer experiences on your essay since it may not be so apparent on the sketch (unless you find th ecure for cancer).

Archived