Premed 101 Forums

Ontario Budget ~ more spots?

Guest Meredith

Guest Meredith

I thought that some of you might find this interesting....especially if you are sitting on the waiting list like me! I pulled his excerpt from the globe and mail web site.

"Responding to concerns that the province is in desperate need of health-care professionals, the budget also calls for the spending of $50-million by 2005-2006 to support the collaborative degree program in nursing education. Also, $14-million will be spent by 2005-2006 to expand undergraduate medical school enrolment by 160 spaces."

Does anyone have any insight into whether this will translate into more spaces for this fall?

Guest medwant2b

Here is the Globe & Mail article. The bit about 160 new places is at the bottom. I also found the government statement; it is here. The wording there is exactly as above.

Sounds good (fingers crossed). :) I think a few years ago they increased enrolment in a matter of weeks late in the summer. Apparently, a few schools had to call people that were initially rejected. I'm hopeful things will work for the best; I'm also on the waitlist.

Cheers, medwant2b :)

I just rejected Toronto two minutes ago. So someone lucky person on the wait list is getting my seat as we speak :)

Good luck to you all...

Guest Asystole

I am trying to be hopeful as I am waitlisted too but... I read somewhere else on one of these forums that this year's enrollment announcement had already been made (I think it was in the Queens forum). I am not at all sure that this is true as I don't believe anyone else confirmed this statement.

The other reason that I don't hold out a lot of hope is that I thought that heard somewhere that U of T was pretty much maxed out and would not be expanding further, leaving it to the other schools.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom and maybe someone can refute these things, but I ,for one, will picking my courses for next year tonight.

Good Luck to Everyone Waiting

Guest medwant2b

Asystole:

UT as far as I know has the facilities. I once got into a discussion about physician shortages with a physician/UT professor I was working with; he told me that 10-15 years ago UT used to graduate ~250 medical students per year.

If some government money flows this year--as suggested by the budget announcement--I imagine there will be a small enrollment increase; increased enrollment numbers for money is part of the carrot and stick game the government plays with the universities. You might be aware that UT's line on the double-cohort was, until recently, something like "... we're not doing anything unless you show us the money." I didn't see what you're referring to, but IMHO medical school enrollment numbers has an element of politics; in politics what one said last year, last month or even last week many be null and void if conditions change.

The question is: has there been a concrete statement about numbers from a university post-budget delivery?

Being on the waitlist isn't my idea of a good time, but I don't think there is need for doom and gloom quite yet.

Best of Luck! medwant2b

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Just a wee bit of food for thought: increased government cash inflows and leeway within physical facilities are only part of the increased enrolment equation (a great start though!) In order to accept a larger number of students, don't forget that schools also have to divert quite a bit of funding as well as extra manpower per student. Big banks, with their bottomless pot of gold, universities are not. However, more positively it's happened before (one of my pals was one of those eleventh hour admittees two years ago--she received the call along with some of her cohorts two days before the beginning of O-Week when the expansion announcement was made), and given the support of the recent press re: ominous doctor shortages, it's possible that it will happen again.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived