Premed 101 Forums

Cheating Med School?

I put this topic in "non-traditional" forum, more for a gag than anything else. However if mods think otherwise, please re-direct the topic as you may wish.

You may or may not have heard of these individuals: Stephen Kai Yiu Chung or Dennis Roark.

The common denominator for these two is that neither have ever been to med school, yet have practiced medicine for literally decades before getting caught. Both in Canada.

Given the ridiculous amount of time, effort, etc. trying to get into med school (at least based on what I've read on this board), is it ever wonder why some resort to such high degree of cheating?

What's worse? The reason these cheaters were caught was because their fake degrees did not match university records (well, duhh!). I have to pause here for a second and ask: have any of you ever dealt with university staff and administration procedures?

How hard would it be for someone to infiltrate the "right" Ontario school and actually add themselves to a med school graduating class? Think it's illogical thinking? Consider this:

- universities that have med schools often hire part-time undergrad students in need of financial assistance for data entry; given the bureacracy universities have, you'd be surprised at what kind of data an undergrad (non-med) student would have access to while working at a med school;

- every year at least one school has one med student that retracts from the program; the spot is sometimes filled but not always;

- while proving that someone within the university bureacracy has done something illegal, even if caught, the punishment would be minimal, hence not much deterrence;

My point? I speculate that if it hasn't started, it definitely will; people will resort to illegal manners to becoming a physician. And once the imposters insert their names into the school's records, it will be difficult if not impossible to track them down.

Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: I have provided this topic for general entertainment purposes; it should not be considered, interpreted, misinterpreted, understood, misunderstood, construed, misconstrued or any other form of cognitive interception as condoning, accepting, promoting or idolizing the act of cheating. Please follow all OUAC and/or medical school procedures in order to become a physician. Author takes no responsibility for any harm (either physical, emotional, psychological, perceived or real), damages (not limited to real or intellectual), liabilities or any other form of harm. By reading this thread and/or replying to it you release, evict and exhonorate the author from any and all forms of liability/responsibilities/harm. The names posted in this thread are those of individuals who have been charged, sentenced and convicted of the charges in a real court of law in their respective jurisdictions. Their names were used strictly for information purposes only and not for any other form. If you're still reading this, then you should have become a lawyer (like myself) and not a doctor. Long live Mexican jalapeno peppers.

well you'd also have to add yourself to the LCCME roster and to the roster of a school that "provided" you with your post-graduate training. You'd also have to appear on the CaRMs match records which would require you to get a letter from you Dean. On top of that, the only people who could pull this off potentially are medical professionals from non-accredited countries, since you would have to know the procedures/ diagnostic algorithms. If you accomplish all that then you could potentially get away with it.

For the purposes of entertainment, this exercise whould be extended to faculty members, what is worse to be trained by a bogus physician or for a student illegally having a seat being reained? And if you read the disclaimer and now claim to be a lawyer, it is necessary for you to p rove your credentials.

Proper grammer not your best friend, huh? LOL. I'm technically not a lawyer ... yet; I'm still a student! The purpose for this was humor all around. Re the "disclaimer", I put it as a dumb joke; if you've ever read any disclaimers attached to any commercial offers, you'll probably read some of the most dumbest things one can think of, but for entertainment, they're quite funny.

For the purposes of entertainment, this exercise whould be extended to faculty members, what is worse to be trained by a bogus physician or for a student illegally having a seat being reained? And if you read the disclaimer and now claim to be a lawyer, it is necessary for you to p rove your credentials.

Proper grammer not your best friend, huh? LOL. I'm technically not a lawyer ... yet; I'm still a student! The purpose for this was humor all around. Re the "disclaimer", I put it as a dumb joke; if you've ever read any disclaimers attached to any commercial offers, you'll probably read some of the most dumbest things one can think of, but for entertainment, they're quite funny.

hmm, I am not an English major and grammer has never been my best subject. If technically you are not a lawyer, are you related to that infamous deceased man from Chicago who shared your name?lol:D I enjoy your post!

Archived