Premed 101 Forums

Essay Prompt 1 - Do not read until you have read the intro post

yeeha

A country needs enemies, real or imagined, in order to maintain its identity.

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which a country might not need an enemy in order to maintain its identity. Discuss what you think determines whether the existence of enemies is necessary for a country to maintain its identity.

Here is my essay. Do not read it until you have written your own ;)

I am horrible at writing essays. I have a constant M on this section and I'm planning to change that with practice!

---------------

The identity of a country and its international standing amongst other nations is dependent on many factors. A strong factor that shapes a country’s identity is its relationship with other nations. The United States can be viewed as a strong nation which upholds its values of democracy and is willingness to help people of other nations fight against oppression. However, to the tyrant controlling the oppressed nation, the United States is viewed as an enemy.

To the rest of the world which values civil rights and the democratic system, the identity of the United States is based on their continous fight against its enemy. However, a nation’s identity isn’t soley based on their enemies, take Canada for example. Canada is known for its neutrality. Canada is dedicated to Peacekeeping and providing aid to countries which are in need of help.

The international identity on a nation depends on a variety of factors. When we think of the United States, images of the War Against Iraq and it’s ongoing effort to put an end to tyranny and unjust governments. We think of the brave soldiers that fight against the Taliban and their efforts to instill a democratic system. Indeed, when we think of the United States, we associate their them with their enemies. For a country that is proud of its armed forces, its enemies are necessary to maintain its identity. On the other hand, enemies are not the only factor that shapes a country’s identity. Canada is known for its neutral identity. When we think of Canada, we think about its Peacekeeping forces in Afganistan and the aid it provides to countries during natural disasters.

Archived