Premed 101 Forums

What to to about academic reference when you've been out of school for a while

It's been six years since I finished my bachelors degree and all the course work that I've done since then has been through correspondance. UBC wants an academic reference and I have know idea where to even start. Should I take an in person class this fall and get to know the teacher or look up an old prof, hope they remember me and volunteer to work in their lab in my spare time. Is there any other option that I haven't thought of?

Andrea, I understand your problem even though I am a trad student, top marks in core courses and electives, ask questions when I need to, and I am totally anonymous. So, to a degree, we are in the same boat. To kiss a and work in their lab in the hope of a strong reference, is a waste of your energy and time. I would start going back in time and try to find a prof whose course you aced, and frankly explain the dilemma, have an updated CV handy and hope...however, a wishy washy LOR is effectively worthless, we all need "strong" references. Even though yoy have taken correspondence courses, your profs prob know you as well as mine where I attend daily. Try that approach explaining the dilemma. If this fails, look for someone who knows you well perhaps in another area who can validate your intellectual and acadaemic capacities and achievements, even if this person explains that she/he does know these facts altho not having tasguth you, but knows b/c.........I am thinking of using one of my supervisors from EMS as ac 'academic' ref., b/c these pople know me inside out and and are well educated and I think this may be preferable than my giving in effectively a no-name LOR that meets the technical requirements only. Moreover, if I were you, I would write a separate letter to adcoms to explain the dilemma of finding a suitable academic reference b/c......and tell them that you have gone to x, bc........and I ams ure they will understand sympathetically and you won't be penalized. Just market this aspect transparently, honestly, sympathetically in a manner that makes sense and holds together. If I were you I wouldn't stress over t his one, you have more than enuf on your plate as it is, just use your imagination and think creatively outside the box which I know you are now doing.

Archived