Premed 101 Forums

requesting a deferral

Guest chin up

Guest chin up

I haven't heard from UofT yet either so I'm definitely crossing this bridge before I get to it. But I thought I'd at least get a head start on the process... I haven't finished my undergraduate degree yet, so if I do get accepted, I'm planning to ask to defer for a year so I can come to UofT in 2003.

How complicated is the application process for deferrals? What information do they require (eg. specific details about my program, how close I am in terms of credit requirements, etc)? When do they let you know? (I've also posted these questions on the Queen's site in case people want to check out answers there once they come in.)

Once again, this is even assuming that I get in, which is a risky thing to do to yourself. So good luck to everyone - in the immortal words of Red Green, "I'm pulling for you. Remember, we're all in this together."

Thanks!

Guest O7applicant

As a third year applicant yet to complete a four year degree, I am fairly certain I would like to defer entrance given I gain acceptance. Is there any point in the admissions process where it may be necessary to declare these intentions? Is there a possibility that it may be in my best interest to not do so?

Guest chin up

Hi O7applicant, I never got any official advice on this, but I should think that it would be best to NOT let on during the application/interview process that you're thinking of deferring acceptance (because they could just say "then why don't you just apply next year?"). However, I could be wrong on that - it was just my instinct. If your program is obviously a four-year one (mine was potentially three-year), then they may call you on it anyway. In my case, I'm only mentioning it now that I've got the acceptance in hand.

Archived