Premed 101 Forums

Early Planner

Guest benjibert

Guest benjibert

I have never applied to UT or any other Ontario med schools. Therefore I believe I need quite some helpful input from all you generous people who have goen through or are going through the process. Aside from the details provided on the UT med admissions website, I'd like to know of what they look at to determine admission. Do they consider the science prerequisites' average or only the GPA for everything combined? What do they do with graduate courses completed as part of my master's degree? My MCAT scores are 8,12,12,R; is that competitive for UT?

Perhaps more questions to come but for now, I'll wait for your helpful words.

Guest scalpel

From what I know, they do not single out your marks in prereq courses. They only look at your cumulative gpa. Also, U of T does not consider your MCAT at all if you are above the cut off. The only time that the MCAT might make a difference is in extreme case tie-breakers between two applicants. That being said, its true that U of T still offers interviews even if an MCAT category is one mark under the cut-off.

Guest Horehay

A good thing to do if you want to go in to UofT is to go HEAVY on the academics and not to worry too too much about extracurricular. I know they always say that you really should have some extracurriculars under your belt, and I agree with that, but make sure they're of the more academia type like: debate club, computer club, student councils and what not. UofT looks down on things like sports and especially people who do more social things like organize formals and what not.

Finally, I'm not totally sure what the cutoffs are, but try to have a pretty good average (say around 3.85 and above), and do at least two or three summers worth of research.

Guest Horehay

Yes! of course I am from UofT....and that's basically what I know about the admissions process here. I did all sorts of things in undergrad like student council (not that I really wanted to do it, just for padding my résumé) and I did the debate team, computer club and all that jazz. I actually gave up badminton and stuff because I knew that med schools only like academic things. I also did three summers worth of research (which was hell), for the sole reason of getting a better standing in the med school pool.

I think other schools DO care about non-academic stuff, but I know that this is not the case at UofT. We are an academic institution known for producing of the best doctors in the world. A doctor needs to be able to do a physical exam and interview a patient--why would (s)he need to be able to play sports, and have hobbies? That's not part of his job!!

Anyway, that's my two cents!

Guest Ian Wong

Sounds a bit far-fetched to me too... If you don't have an outlet for relaxing during med school, you'll go nuts. Sure, you might not opt to spend your free time volunteering at the local Emerg any more, but I can't think of anyone in my class who hasn't kept up some of their previous outside interests. Keeping that balanced lifestyle will keep you sane, and help you relate to other people, including your classmates, teachers, friends and family, and not unsurprisingly, your patients.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest ThugJaan

Horehay, are you really in UofT meds...what year? B.C. you have to admit this sounds a little bit out there....

I basically had 0 amounts of research and hardly any acadmeic activites. I played a lot of sports, did a lot of individual/group/commmunity projects [mainly involovng computers] and other such things unrealted to acadmics...I am sure there are many other people who do the same thing [i know YongQ has a lot fo non-acadmeic interests to name one].

I think acadmeic extra-currics. can help you out, but to say that you should partake only in those at the expense of other activites that you may enjoy is being very anal.

Guest Akane200

Wow, I've never heard that extra currics weren't important. I've even interviewed applicants, and I find that having only having academic stuff kinda boring (even abnormal maybe).

I doubt that Horehay actually knows exactly what the admissions committee is looking for. No one really knows that. (That's why U of T admissions is the black box! :b ) But seriously, after being part of the process, I have say that extra currics are important too. The impresssion that academic type extra currics are more important than non academic type things is wrong. Some people do both, while others do one or the other. I think it's very individual.

I also seriously doubt that Horehay is a med student at U of T. What he writes sounds too immature; he presents a very simplistic and one sided argument. :b

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, his post reminds of a couple of posts made about a month ago by two "different" guys saying that they were either in U of T meds or had an intimate knowledge of the students there. Turns out the two different posters were using the same IP address though. . . probably someone who wants U of T meds and is hoping to knock a few people off of the waitlist. Don't believe everything you read - listen to Thugjaan, Akane2000 and YongQ for a real perspective on U of T. It's better to trust them over some anonymous poster for a perspective on U of T - as moderators, at least you can trust the fact they're U of T med students.

Guest YongQ

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Do they consider the science prerequisites' average or only the GPA for everything combined?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

It's GPA for everything.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> What do they do with graduate courses completed as part of my master's degree?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

They take your graduate program GPA. If you're finishing up your grad degree, I believe they just leave your undergrad alone.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> My MCAT scores are 8,12,12,R; is that competitive for UT?<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

MCAT here at U of T is a cutoff, it's not graded. You met the cutoff, so don't worry!

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> Horehay:<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Yes! of course I am from U of T...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Sure you are! Say, do you know any Spanish?

YONGQ

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> (Edit: The last line is sarcasm :) )<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->

Archived