Premed 101 Forums

Has anybody done a rheumatology elective?

I did a rheum elective at Ottawa (Riverside campus) last year for 3 weeks. I really enjoyed it. It was all clinic-based, with good hours and was very directed toward teaching learners. I was involved with a variety of adult clinics. There were 2 or 3 rheumatologists, including the division head, who I worked with more often. As someone in family medicine (or, at the time, aiming for it), I found it to be really good exposure to a wide variety of conditions that I probably wouldn't see otherwise. Also, I got a good approach to examining joints, which can be quite helpful. Overall, I'd recommend this elective.

• 2 weeks later...

haven't done a rheum elective myself at Western, but word on the street (from friends who have) is that it is a really fun elective- all the preceptors are friendly, nice, teach about conditions and joint exams, and give lots of opportunity to do procedures like injections. You are scheduled with 1 or 2 preceptors for clinic all week, so I think there is ample opportunity to get a reference letter.

Archived