Premed 101 Forums

The waiting game

Guest Obsessed

Guest Obsessed

Man -- I gotta stop overanalyzing my UofT interview (yesterday). It was OK overall, I think, and I got along with the interviewers fine. At the end of the interview, the faculty member stood up and offered his hand and said, "You did a good job." The medical student then did the same, and said something to the effect of "Hope to see you next year."

Now I'm thinking - did they mean what they said, or did they say those things because they felt sorry for me and thought that perhaps I felt bad about my performance and therefore he didn't want me to feel bad over the next 3 weeks?

I've gotta figure out ways to distract myself over the next 3 weeks. Any suggestions?

Guest PeterHill0501

Obsessed,

I would bet what you heard was a way of saying you're very likely going to get an offer. I don't believe they would be allowed to say anything, however, from what they did and said I'd say they were impressed with you and wanted to leave you with a "warm and fuzzy" so that you'd be more likely to accept a position with U of T.

Good luck!

Guest From above

Heehee.... Thanks for the suggestion, ThugJaan. I'm not much of a drinker; I'm only 5 foot 1 and 100 pounds, and even a little bit of alcohol knocks me out. Not a bad thought, right about now. :) OK, I'll stop overanalyzing.

It was actually a pretty good crowd yesterday - quite a few of us applicants. We females were outnumbered, too, from what I could see. Hmm. ;)

Guest From above

Thanks, Peter, for your encouragement! :)

Actually, I know quite a few applicants who interviewed at UofT earlier this year as well as in past years whose interviewers also said a couple of similar things at the end of their interviews. Some of them got in, some of them didn't. But it isn't so uncommon at UofT; perhaps it is at some other schools.

Guest ThugJaan

don't worry about being out numbered...UofT let in more gals than guys last year...

A similar thing happend to me last year, but I am not really the over-anazying type so I just tried to forget about it. Just try to chill and relax, as hard as that may sound.

Guest browsing

0.5% alcohol content booze? :)

for me, instead of sitting and waiting, I went to get a job which was good for taking my mind off this stuff.

Guest ohno

the dr at my interview said something to the efect of "hey the interview doesn't make or braek your application"...(I need to stop checking out his site)

Guest youarein

Dear obsessed,

Clearly, this means you are accepted. Considering that they probably aren't officially allowed to say these sorts of things to you, they were doing you a big favour. Seeing as you probably can't figure that out, I hope you get a bit better at reading people during medical school - it is more of a skill than whatever got you to the interview.

Guest YongQ

No youarein,

Comments your interviewers make during the interview mean nothing. Especially in the States, there have been people who've had their interviewers say things like, "I'll see you in September," or, "You did very well" and the person ended up getting waitlisted or a big fat rejection in the end... not that it happens all the time, but certainly comments like that are not binding for the interviewer. Best thing to do post-interview is find some hobby to keep yourself occupied. Best of luck!

YONGQ

Guest Akane200

The interview is only part of your evaluation overall. Individual interviewers have no control over who really gets in or not. That is up to the members of the admissions committee who decide through your global scores, academics, etc. Therefore, whatever feedback that certain interviewers give you may or may not matter.

Also of note is that the interview "can" make or break your application. Whether it does or not is another matter. If you do really terribly in the interview, your chances may not that good.

Anyways, best of luck! :)

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> "'Good Luck'.......... What the heck does that mean??'"<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Hehe. This reminds me of a conversation between girlfriends at a slumber party trying to interpret things that cute guys said to them.

Guest TheMan

At the end of my interview, my interviewer stood up and said to me:

<!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> "You had me at 'hello'"<!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->.......

What does <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> that<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> mean?!?!?!

Archived