Premed 101 Forums

Next year applicant

Guest applicant03

Guest applicant03

I am applying to UofT next year.

I have calculated my GPA according to the formula and it comes out to 3.85. That said, my first year marks - which don't factor into this calculation - are not great.

My MCAT is 32 and my extra-curriculars are pretty solid.

Can anyone give me an idea of how competitive these numbers are, or are they too average to really say?

Cheers

Guest premed80

Hi

You have a solid GPA with 3.85 - so as long as your essay is decent, you have a good chance of getting an interview.

Aide from meeting the min. U of T MCAT cutoffs of 8,8,8,N, your high MCAT scores won't be of much extra help in getting in an interview at U of T. From what I understand as long as you meet the cutoff, high MCAt scores don't factor in at U of T.

Your MCAT scores however will however play a large role in getting an interview at Western and Queens if you decide to apply to those schools.

Best of luck with applications!

Guest applicant03 2

lol. you sound exactly like me, and I bet exactly like another several hundred premeds out there. lots of people with these stats will get in, and lots more won't. nothing is guaranteed.

Guest maxell

From my experiences, MCAT scores mean very -very- little for the UofT. My scores were not that great at all (below 30), yet I was invited. On the other hand, there are people who got 33 and above who did not even get an interview. It appears that GPA is a major factor (my GPA is 3.93), as well as unique life expereinces that make your essay / autobiographical sketch stand out from ordinary applicants.

Guest maxell

I was speaking generally - if you have things that stand out, that is something you need to emphasize as that will catch their attention when reading your autobiography - at least that is what I think. The point is to make yourself a worthy candidate for an interview, and to emphasize whatever differentiates you from all the rest. Everyone is unique in a way, and that is what you have to bring out in the essay.

In my case, I lived in many places abroad since childhood, and gone through many extraordinary circumstances. In all interviews, that was a point of interest for the interviewers. I would like to think that at least from a well written autobiographical sketch (along with my marks) I was able to get an interview in the first place

Guest bad hombre

yo maxell,

i have pretty similar experiences/stats (i.e. living abroad and stuff)

how many of us do you think are out there?

Guest Kirsteen

Hey bad hombre,

I'd have to raise my hand to the "living abroad and stuff" category, having lived on a number of different continents for various time spans. Judging by some of the discussions going on in the Calgary forum, I'd say there are a number of others with a colourful passport(s) too.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived