Premed 101 Forums

Tell me if there's something I'm missing here.

Tango Charlie

Doing a 3-year degree, because I'm 25 and will be eligible to apply to NOSM as a mature student with only a 3-year degree. The degree has a 4-year option for when I most likely don't get in to NOSM on my initial application. I need 90 credits from appropriate classes to graduate from the 3-year program.

I have 24 transfer credits from my paramedic diploma.

I'm taking a full course load this year and next year.

In the summer I'll take 6 credits worth of courses, so that I finish my degree in only two years of school.

The alternative would be that I perhaps don't take anything in the summer, and for my third year begin to do courses that I'd be required to do to graduate with a 4-year degree rather than a 3-year one.

Will I miss out on any GPA weighting by using transfer credits? Or by doing summer classes nestled softly between full course loads? Tell me, gentle reader, what am I missing?

Doing a 3-year degree, because I'm 25 and will be eligible to apply to NOSM as a mature student with only a 3-year degree. The degree has a 4-year option for when I most likely don't get in to NOSM on my initial application. I need 90 credits from appropriate classes to graduate from the 3-year program.

I have 24 transfer credits from my paramedic diploma.

I'm taking a full course load this year and next year.

In the summer I'll take 6 credits worth of courses, so that I finish my degree in only two years of school.

The alternative would be that I perhaps don't take anything in the summer, and for my third year begin to do courses that I'd be required to do to graduate with a 4-year degree rather than a 3-year one.

Will I miss out on any GPA weighting by using transfer credits? Or by doing summer classes nestled softly between full course loads? Tell me, gentle reader, what am I missing?

Let's try and figure this one out. :D

I was a college transfer student as well and, also, a mature student applicant last year at NOSM.

If the transfer credits were completed at college, chances are no marks will appear on your university transcript (at least, they didn't for me).

An example of how this worked:

Course at Community College: Sociology 100

On my university transcript: SOC 101

(no grade / just with a "T" for transfer)

In other words, the transfer courses count towards your undergrad degree, but no grades are counted towards your med school application GPA. (Unfortunate, because I had many 4.0s from my two programs that would have been nice to add into the mix, hehe!)

Try to do your full-time courses during the proper academic year (Sept-Apr).

Whether you want to do a 3- or 4-year will probably also depend on what med schools you want to apply to?

Hope that helps!

Bit hastily written, wasn't it?

Is there any issue in applying with a 4-year degree (or 3-year degree, if allowed) which was done in a year less time?

I know that there are benefits to doing all of your courses as part of a full course load, but if I do not do stuff this summer then I will have to take another semester, and will need to pick up extra courses to make that additional semester one with a full course load, too.

Depending on how well I do, that might be a good idea, but right now I am planning on doing well right out of the gate, so I'd prefer it if I were done my 3-year degree next April, and applying to NOSM at the same time.

By the way, did you get into NOSM?

Let's try and figure this one out. :D

I was a college transfer student as well and, also, a mature student applicant last year at NOSM.

If the transfer credits were completed at college, chances are no marks will appear on your university transcript (at least, they didn't for me).

An example of how this worked:

Course at Community College: Sociology 100

On my university transcript: SOC 101

(no grade / just with a "T" for transfer)

In other words, the transfer courses count towards your undergrad degree, but no grades are counted towards your med school application GPA. (Unfortunate, because I had many 4.0s from my two programs that would have been nice to add into the mix, hehe!)

Try to do your full-time courses during the proper academic year (Sept-Apr).

Whether you want to do a 3- or 4-year will probably also depend on what med schools you want to apply to?

Hope that helps!

I have a lovely list of Ts on my transcript too; however, I didn't finish the first degree so they will include all those grades on top of this degree. From what I figure....

Did you get an interview? How'd it go?

Bit hastily written, wasn't it?

Is there any issue in applying with a 4-year degree (or 3-year degree, if allowed) which was done in a year less time?

I know that there are benefits to doing all of your courses as part of a full course load, but if I do not do stuff this summer then I will have to take another semester, and will need to pick up extra courses to make that additional semester one with a full course load, too.

Depending on how well I do, that might be a good idea, but right now I am planning on doing well right out of the gate, so I'd prefer it if I were done my 3-year degree next April, and applying to NOSM at the same time.

By the way, did you get into NOSM?

Hey there,

You are from N.ON, right?

No, I didn't get in and I'm not from N.ON. But the interview was an excellent experience - very thankful for that!

Summer course credits are fine for schools like Mac and NOSM that use cGPA calculations. There are other schools, which won't look at summer credits. You may want to plan your undergrad according to the med schools you want to apply to. As such, if NOSM is the only place you are applying, those other details won't matter.

Speeding up your undergrad by doing summers shouldn't be an issue, I don't think.

Good luck with everything!

:D

Hey there,

You are from N.ON, right?

No, I didn't get in and I'm not from N.ON. But the interview was an excellent experience - very thankful for that!

Summer course credits are fine for schools like Mac and NOSM that use cGPA calculations. There are other schools, which won't look at summer credits. You may want to plan your undergrad according to the med schools you want to apply to. As such, if NOSM is the only place you are applying, those other details won't matter.

Speeding up your undergrad by doing summers shouldn't be an issue, I don't think.

Good luck with everything!

:D

Yeah, I'm from northern Ontario. Matter of fact, I live about 1 minute driving from NOSM. Of all the schools, NOSM would be my best shot and is the one I'd most like to attend, but I wouldn't want to limit my options too much.

Either way though, I think summer classes is the way to go. Thanks for the thoughts.

edit: Another question then. I want to avoid taking organic chemistry and currently am planning my degree to include no organic chemistry. If I take the MCAT I will learn it on my own, what I need to know for the MCAT, where my GPA isn't at stake. However, I had recently been told that perhaps when the adcoms take a look at my information, they may see that I didn't take o-chem and will think less of me for it. Although I've also been told that avoiding o-chem is a wise idea, period. But, then again, if my GPA is lower as a result of having taken o-chem, will they have thought even less of me in spite of having taken it?

What say you, premed 101, about this decision of mine to avoid organic chemistry?

Archived