Premed 101 Forums

Orgo Nomenclature

The Law

I suck at it! Anybody got some good notes or websites they want to direct me to? :P

i think i read another post of yours. Using Ek is terrible for the first part. You'll notice their first chapter was very brief. They spent one page on stereochem and said its not important.

I'd reccommend another book. I used TPR and it was good. If your gen chem nomenclature is good this should suffice. Ek is fine for reactions and stuff, but the first chapter is brutal in my opinion.

i think i read another post of yours. Using Ek is terrible for the first part. You'll notice their first chapter was very brief. They spent one page on stereochem and said its not important.

I'd reccommend another book. I used TPR and it was good. If your gen chem nomenclature is good this should suffice. Ek is fine for reactions and stuff, but the first chapter is brutal in my opinion.

Yeah, it is pretty brutal... they're skipping a tonne of things, I'm definitely going to have to supplement this stuff. I'm doing it more for a refresher though, the first stuff is pretty basic orgo. I just read the answers to the questions I did and the question that got me posting this thread says "Answer B is improperly named" lol, no wonder I couldn't draw it!!

Yeah, it is pretty brutal... they're skipping a tonne of things, I'm definitely going to have to supplement this stuff. I'm doing it more for a refresher though, the first stuff is pretty basic orgo. I just read the answers to the questions I did and the question that got me posting this thread says "Answer B is improperly named" lol, no wonder I couldn't draw it!!

hahaha bloody Ek. Yeah the nomenclature didn't seem bad on the MCAT for the most part but there's the odd hard one. I really think if your good on gen chem then this won't be bad at all. Also, as you keep getting through the book you'll obviously learn more about nomenclature if you make the effort to focus on it in addition to the actual topic covered.

hahaha bloody Ek. Yeah the nomenclature didn't seem bad on the MCAT for the most part but there's the odd hard one. I really think if your good on gen chem then this won't be bad at all. Also, as you keep getting through the book you'll obviously learn more about nomenclature if you make the effort to focus on it in addition to the actual topic covered.

I'll definitely do a bit more practice, to brush up on my skills, a few examples and I'll probably be good to go. I'm going over TPR to make sure I'm not missing any info that was excluded from EK. The first chapter borrows heavily from GChem, like you said, so I'm not too worried about it. Although, I wish I did a bit better on the practice questions (was getting between 6 and 7/8 on them).

STUPID EK though... I just couldn't for the life of me draw that molecule because it wasn't making any sense - lol, thank God it was an intentional "throw you off your game" answer on their part.

I'll definitely do a bit more practice, to brush up on my skills, a few examples and I'll probably be good to go. I'm going over TPR to make sure I'm not missing any info that was excluded from EK. The first chapter borrows heavily from GChem, like you said, so I'm not too worried about it. Although, I wish I did a bit better on the practice questions (was getting between 6 and 7/8 on them).

STUPID EK though... I just couldn't for the life of me draw that molecule because it wasn't making any sense - lol, thank God it was an intentional "throw you off your game" answer on their part.

wait until they are just plain wrong and don't tell you......nasty

yeah I hear you about EK orgo, it skips a lot of things, but it is good to get a sense of the big picture. If you are looking for supplemental books, I felt ORGANIC CHEMISTRY AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (KLEIN) was helpful, and I had never taken orgo before.

I also got the Berkeley review books for orgo, which were really detailed and helpful. I found them to be helpful than TPR.

That's just evil!! I might have found one of those already. ;)

Although, I have to admit - if you have some background in the topic, it sure does a good job of simplifying concepts and helping you focus on key points. EK physics/chem saved my life last time around.

i hadn't done first year sciences since 1999......i needed all the freakin help i could get!!

Ek made nice coasters............expensive but colorful

Archived