Premed 101 Forums

Such a thing as using a verifier too many times?

Is it weird if one person I know can verify my activities in many of the clubs/organizations I've joined?

This person isn't an exec or anything, but they're just my friend that knows I participate in these clubs.

Also, is it bad if this person is also a pre-med that is also applying this cycle? Just looks sketchy (kinda like I'm getting a friend to verify everything).

I currently have one verifier for 9 sketch items. I worked for the same organization for 8 years and had a lot of promotions and completed relevant specialzed training that I am mentioning. It made more sense in my situation to have my most recent supervisor/manager verify all of them.

My PhD supervisor is my verifier for about 15 of my sketch items (publications, conference presentations, NSERCs, research awards...). Also, a friend of mine is vouching for several activities I did during undergrad (I graduated in 2001, so it's awhile ago and it's nearly impossible to track down people more directly related to these activities).

I don't see how using one person for several related activities, or for a few activities that you did awhile back, could put you at any serious disadvantage.

Is it weird if one person I know can verify my activities in many of the clubs/organizations I've joined?

This person isn't an exec or anything, but they're just my friend that knows I participate in these clubs.

Also, is it bad if this person is also a pre-med that is also applying this cycle? Just looks sketchy (kinda like I'm getting a friend to verify everything).

It is all fine. Presumably, this person also joined these clubs. If not, theoretically, this person has no personal knowledge to verify b/c it is all hearsay, i.e., the friend only knows what you told him/her not being able to verify anything.

So, if this person was not also involved, it is prefereable to use a person or persons who actually participated and this person should only be a final resort. Remeber, the verifier needs to verify your participation from first hand knoweldge, not from your statements to your friend, otherwise, I might be able to be your verifier.;)

It is all fine. Presumably, this person also joined these clubs. If not, theoretically, this person has no personal knowledge to verify b/c it is all hearsay, i.e., the friend only knows what you told him/her not being able to verify anything.

So, if this person was not also involved, it is prefereable to use a person or persons who actually participated and this person should only be a final resort. Remeber, the verifier needs to verify your participation from first hand knoweldge, not from your statements to your friend, otherwise, I might be able to be your verifier.;)

I am confused about the verifier for the club part actually. Do they ask you to verify for your exec position or the specific activities? In UofT, if you are an exec of a club, your information should be on the UTSU and ULife website, I suppose I could put down the ppl from those offices but they wouldn't know any of my activities. Or I could get another person from the club to verify for me, who is also applying this year. So anybody in the club will do?

Presumably the sketch will say Pre-med Club VP. In that case, you say the info is on the website, so you can use rhat to verify I would think. If you say,

Pre-med Club, publicity and membership coordinator, presumably you would want a member of the Exec. to be a verifier, failing which, any member of the club who has personal knowledge, fail this, someone whom you came into contact in this capacity

Presumably the sketch will say Pre-med Club VP. In that case, you say the info is on the website, so you can use rhat to verify I would think. If you say,

Pre-med Club, publicity and membership coordinator, presumably you would want a member of the Exec. to be a verifier, failing which, any member of the club who has personal knowledge, fail this, someone whom you came into contact in this capacity

But the co-coordinator wouldn't really know what I did within my club. I am not too sure if the convention is that you must find someone higher in the hierarchy of organization to verify for you. Would it be good to ask the person underneath your club position to verify?

You only need have a credible person as verifier. Therefore, a person above or below the foodchain would be fine so long as they have personal knowledge. It is highly unlikely your verifier will ever be called, but it could happen on a random basis.

Assuming the unfortunate happens, and your verifier tries to screw you over by saying you never did the activity..what happens? hypothetically.

I think it could be even worse than looking fishy... if it looks down right fraudulent I could see it leading to a ban on future applications... of course, assuming that you actually did it, I'm sure you could sort all of that out.

I don't mean to question your relationship with your friend... but I would never really trust anything medschool related to another applicant. I know it is untrusting of me... but I have heard to many horror stories... and if your friend is really cutthroat they could (if called) negatively impact your changes. I'm sure it is unlikely though.

I started with a lot of verifiers from the same people, one person from my school, one from my charity etc for about a total of 4.... but then for some events, competitions I tried to find the coordinator for the even and get them as an event specific verifier... I ended with about 8 verifiers, some doing as few as 1, and some as many as 10.

I think it doesn't matter too much unless there is anything inherently suspicious about your application.

Archived