Premed 101 Forums

which MCAT books to recommend?

creamso10

Look over some examples in a bookstore to see what fits your learning style best. I found Kaplan OK for the bio and for chem, but horrible for physics. I found EK too simplistic (although the Audio Osmosis was great for studying on public transport, since I can't read without becoming nauseous). I found PR dry, but some people find it useful.

there are lots of different MCAT books and they are quite expensive

i just don't know which one to buy

any recommendation?

have you taken any orgo, physics, chemistry, bio (genetics, physio, etc) in university? If you are confident about the material, just buy EK for a short and sweet review of the main concepts. If you still need to learn the basic material, take a prep course (or for a better deal, buy the access to online material and get the books). TPR books are pretty comprehensive. recently The Berkeley review books have also received great reviews. But it's quite hard to order them from Canada.

My vote is for examkrackers. I haven't used them personally but I've heard good things about them.

I've used PR and Kap. They both suck in their own ways. PR is boring to read, and treats you like a 2 yr old. Kaplan is WAY more comprehensive than you really need. And it doesn't take much time to explain the concept thoroughly, which is good if its review but bad if its something brand new to you.

My vote is for examkrackers. I haven't used them personally but I've heard good things about them.

I've used PR and Kap. They both suck in their own ways. PR is boring to read, and treats you like a 2 yr old. Kaplan is WAY more comprehensive than you really need. And it doesn't take much time to explain the concept thoroughly, which is good if its review but bad if its something brand new to you.

Examkrackers all the way. The least painful method to study for the MCAT. They aren't the most comprehensive, but they present what you need to know in an interesting and colourful format. I have a copy of Examkrackers and the Kaplan books if you're interested (I'm in Toronto) in a deal... (send me a private message if you are)

I personally didn't find the EK 101 passages in MCAT bio all that useful. MCAT biology is pretty different from the style of passages, I found in that booklet. I guess it's okay to enforce concepts though.

TPR = great review books

EK = very concise...easy to lug around!(which is a plus)

and for physics, I recommend NOVA physics + EK 1001 problems in physics + EK physics book.

Everything else, EK is the way to go ('cept for when you're really stuck and need clarification, then it's TPR time).

But there's nothing like doing a tonne of practice problems, for which TPR is the go-to source. Also, Kaplan isn't bad for problems. They have a lot of practice tests. 11 I believe.

Good luck everyone!

I'm on the last chapter of orgo now for EK, I LOVE IT!! It's really good if you have a background in orgo and just need a refresher. I also just downloaded audio osmosis for orgo and found it useful to listen to the the corresponding sections to refresh after I read a chapter.

last chapter? are you writing in jan?

Archived